1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Imagine busting your ass your whole life and then spending your golden years doing this

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Now do fans of rock star Obama, Ron.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Ok Boomer.

garrow likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

From today's Times story on the Claremont Institute and the "anti-Woke" movement: "“In support of ridding schools of C.R.T., the Right argues that we want nonpolitical education,” Mr. Klingenstein wrote in August 2021. “No we don’t. We want our politics. All education is political.”

‘America Is Under Attack’: Inside the Anti-D.E.I. Crusade

It's why there's no good-faith argument on this. If I agree the universities are largely liberal and speakers on-campus should be able to speak about ideas that might be controversial or not supported by a good part of the campus, I shouldn't be signing up with these morons. The real debate has been lost. This is just the Falwell and Robertson culture war dressed up from a group of dipshits finding another angle to attack from.

Now, Dr. Yenor advised his friend Dr. Azerrad to aim his statement at a liberal audience — to defend Dr. Wax on the grounds that if she were fired, it would only embolden red-state lawmakers to fire controversial left-wing professors.

“But don’t we want this to happen?” Dr. Azerrad asked.

“Yes,” replied Dr. Yenor. “But your audience doesn’t want it to happen.”

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why it's almost like some sort of coordinated campaign!

gift link

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ha...sc9dkr5x890&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Maybe the answer lies in good old-fashioned competition. To be sure, Ivy League and similarly selective schools have only enough capacity to serve a tiny segment of the higher-ed market, leaving plenty of room for others to capture market share by offering a similar product to a wider customer base. And if parents and prospective students are learning that the merchandise is defective, they ought to be open to sellers that offer something different.

The University of Florida may be ideally positioned to become the Harvard of the Unwoke. It is the flagship public institution in a state whose governor and Legislature have declared war on identity politics. There are no racial preferences in admissions, thanks to a 1999 executive order by the underappreciated then-Gov. Jeb Bush. Mr. Sasse himself is a conservative Republican with a scholarly background. He holds a doctorate in history from Yale, and before entering the Senate he taught at the University of Texas and served as president of Midland University in Fremont, Neb.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

And the cult thinks Trump cares about it/them?

This is the thing. It's a one-sided relationship, and the quicker/more people understand this, the better off this country would be. Trump needs to be gone, out of the public eye, like every other former President before him, and virtually any one of the other former GOP possibilities would be better than him as a possibility, even as bad as most of them are.

The Republican party needs to fix itself. And nominating Trump, or even getting him elected, will not do it.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Too late. The GOP as we knew it is dead.

Trumpism is here to stay. The Republican Party is simply the zombie host body.

Trumpism is the parasitic brain virus controlling it.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I just learned that Kyle Rittenhouse has been invited to speak at my alma mater.
    It doesn't offend me. I just demonstrates that a bunch of dumbasses are going to pay money to a bigger dumbass to speak to a crowd of dumbasses.
    It's not the university paying him. It's Turning Point USA.
    I really don't have a problem with - no, I don't give much thought about - who speaks on what campus. Nobody is being forced to go listen.

10. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

It's a circular thing. Every single republican in office would get exactly what the want from any GOP presidential candidate. Same justices, same border stuff, abortion, same everything.

But, as said before, turning off the Trump base is a nonstarter. They've had numerous chances - even impeachments - to rid themselves of the guy and still get to keep all the same policies.

And they won't do it.

So this is who they are. Around and around and around again until it becomes them.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I must have missed the lesson in my history class where Joe McCarthy and Richard Nixon had Harry Truman arrested for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

NYT writing on the anti-woke crusade? I’m assuming this art treatment was rejected for some reason:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted