1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

This Lincoln Project attack ad is new, I think, but unfortunately
    it also works against itself by sounding like a dog whistle for MAGAts.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

These friggin' GOPers

2muchcoffeeman and franticscribe like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Far-left media types quick to jump on this one ...

'Sold us out!' MAGA explodes at Amy Coney Barrett after her deciding vote against Texas

Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett has sent some Donald Trump supporters into a frothing rage this week.

The third High Court appointee of the former president has largely given Republicans what they wanted since being seated, from rulings against gun control and affirmative action to the deciding vote to eliminate Roe v. Wade abortion protections.

But this week, she joined Chief Justice John Roberts and the three liberal justices to temporarily allow the Border Patrol to clear away miles of razor wire installed by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, in defiance of federal law, to obstruct migrants trying to cross the southern border. CBP officials had warned the wire blockade was preventing them from doing their jobs.

But this ruling enraged the MAGA faithful, who took the Texas governor's side on the issue in posts on the social media site "X." Many lobbed personal attacks and ill-wishes at the justice, and some even suggested she was a traitor or aiding an "invasion" against the country.

"In a shocking ruling today, the US Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that @JoeBiden can tear down Texas barbed wire barriers installed by the Texas National Guard. Justices Roberts and Barrett sided with the Democrats," wrote far-right activist Laura Loomer. "Not good! We are losing our country! STOP THE INVASION!" ...

"Once again Amy Coney Barrett was a huge mistake and we all kinda knew this when we saw she had two adopted foreign children," wrote an account calling itself "Arisophanes."

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a dude that uncomfortable since I met a girlfriend's mother for the first time.
    She was a shark and I a mere fishy pleasure to be devoured.

I don't want to make fun of old Meatball too much because he screams social anxiety. And in the 'woke' world, that is a thing.

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

It's like that old baseball trope where you win 54 and lose 54 on your own, but the other 54 brings everything into the mix.
    That's what this race is about, that final third. More accurately, that 2/5ths.
    Haley might have benefited more from Christie staying in the race.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

All Amy Coney Barrett needs to do now is make an album with Taylor Swift [/crossthread]

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's really odd that now that they (think) they have a solid majority - the righties on the court don't even bother couching their activism in some type of textualism or originalism theory. Immigration policy is the purview of the federal - states can't take action to interfere. Allowing such interference is judicial activism. Period.

Perhaps the feds should tell Abbott - if he really wants to play "border guy" - they will pull ALL federal immigration support out of Texas. See how well that would go over.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

As befuddled and pessimistic as I can be with the state of our politics ….

I’m always a sucker for the Dixville Notch story.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to "State's Rights"?

OTOH, given some of the laws the states are passing, clipping the wings of that argument has much to recommend it.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I mean, in reality - what Texas did was interfering with a law enforcement officer on a huge scale. Similar to what Abbot did with the migrant bus trips. You have migrants awaiting court decisions on whether they can stay - courts located near the border where they are at - and then sending them to the other side of the country. He should have been arrested.

Sure, some cities have declared themselves "sanctuary cities" or whatever - but that only means they don't "assist" federal immigration/deportation operations - they don't actively get in the way of the feds from doing their job - which is what Abbot has done - by making part of their patrol area inaccessible.

Draft saved Draft deleted