1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Happened.

Can't be walked back.

And it should be a lesson to every non-cultist that it can happen, so we must prevent it from happening.

Azrael likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm told this man just needs to be reasoned with, and spoken to respectfully.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Do we prevent it by doing nothing?

Or by prosecuting Trump?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every in-depth profile of the hard core Trump voter can be boiled down to one sentence. "Here's a real asshole for you."

5. jr/shotglass

It'll sound weak, but if we (as a collective) had the answer on how to handle this, we probably wouldn't have let it happen in 2016.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No, because . . .

Haley and DeSantis (nine days ago) were doing even better than Trump vs. Biden.

Why would CBS totally make something up so Trump could claim it was rigged if he loses? We're not talking about Newsmax and OAN here.

Haley fares best against Biden as Republican contenders hold national leads

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Polls aren't rigged. They're not even horribly inaccurate. But since so many elections are so close, they can come up with "wrong" answers that are as accurate as sampling can get. Most of all, they face the fact that fewer and fewer people are willing to take polls in any form. Sooner or later, that is going to cause some massively inaccurate polls, but to date, that has not happened.

three_bags_full likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The anger people show when polls go against what they want to happen still befuddles me. The poll isn't CAUSING the bad thing to happen.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

People might be as willing to be polled as they were in the past, it's more that they are less reachable by the methods of polling that were primarily used in the past -- most notably by telephone. After 2016, pollsters actually reacted to that relatively quickly to what happened, and the methods they use now to poll people are very different -- and more varied -- than they were. They have actually been remarkably adaptable in figuring it out.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

91 indictments.

Do we ignore them because we fear Trumpist violence?

Or do we bring the law to bear on the accused?

11. jr/shotglass

I'll answer with a question: Would the opportunity to make Trump suffer justify the impending violence?

You tell me. I acknowledge it isn't an easy answer. And we don't even know how much backlash would be unleashed upon the nation.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It shouldn't be about the "opportunity to make Trump suffer" or about fear of an idiot fringe getting violent.

It should be about justice and trying to do what is right.

Draft saved Draft deleted