1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That would be book learning!

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Nah. We're not doing it. They're talking shit about doing it.

It would take about one Hurricane Harvey ($130B) or even Ike ($30B) to show them the error of their ways.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Exactly

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

McConnell is a shrewd old turtle. They'll be a lot better off if they listen to him, and so will the country. I won't say that very often.

Functional, reasonable bills need to pass through Congress. Ukraine needs funded. Continuing to cork things up will not reflect well on the R's in an election year, let alone one as contentious as this.

Pissing off the independents is a guaranteed loss, they can't win on R votes only.

Liut and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Independents have grown hugely - I don't think it is so much ideological, but dissatisfaction with actions taken by the two parties. Of course Congress tries to stay aligned to their bases - particularly with primary season afoot (explains a lot of the sudden support for Trump) - more incumbents lose their seats in primaries these days than the general (esp. the HoR).
    I do appreciate something Obama once said in a news conference about negative polling, or dissatisfaction - he said in effect "our timelines are not the same as your news cycle - our deadline is a couple of months before an election." It made a lot of sense to me.
    There are people who are "tuned in" 24 hours a day - and may see Trump "winning" day after day - but then there is the bulk of the country who are busy living their lives who "tune in" a couple of months before election day - think about where things are at, (really don't care how they got there), hear where the parties want to take things and pick a side.

Side note - I mentioned earlier the terrible state of political journalism. The funniest thing I heard on NPR Tuesday was some "expert" talking about how Nikki Hailey might need to spend millions in TV ads in South Carolina - I mean, if she has to spend millions in a state where she was governor, what is the point? Really, a better argument for her at this point would be that it would be reckless for the party to put all of its eggs in a 77-year-old basket facing 91 federal counts. That's not exactly being "conservative."

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's almost as if he thinks he has an almost infinite supply of rubles somewhere else.

wicked likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The GOP will need a massive re-boot post-Trump in any event. It seems a little desperate for someone already crowned the nominee by the media.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nikki might want to connect with women outraged by the Barbie snub. Might help her leading up to Super Tuesday.

Abortion/Barbie ‘24

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

NY Daily News reporter not covering the trial today because her staff's on strike. I guess.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

how cute, the grinning preening ass Jon Stewart is coming out of semi-retirement to save democracy.

Draft saved Draft deleted