1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because he's a fat tub of guts who could never have lasted five minutes in the real military.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But …. But ….. Biden snubbed a national audience during the Super Bowl.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

AP calling NY3 for Suozzi. Only one I’ve seen so far. Good pickup and a likely hold when they do it again in 9 months.

HanSenSE, garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

make the smelly weasel cry.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

CNN too

2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

House will get that margin back on March 5 when Vince Fong wins McCarthy’s seat (unless California takes him off the ballot again for trying to run for assembly at the same time).

garrow likes this.
  8. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Can I ask this, because I feel like this result tonight can't be fully weighted as a huge Dem/Biden win.

Let me know, because:

You do you, MSNBC, but I can't help but think this NY special election doesn't mean all that much for November, which is what MSNBC is trying to do.
    1. Santos was a miraculous disaster, so much than even House republicans expelled him.
    2. Suozzi held this seat for years before attempting to run for governor.
    3. Really, republicans on LI were gonna vote for a black woman registered as a Dem? Come on.

wicked likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I had no idea there was right wing backlash.

10. Deskgrunt50

Generally agree. There are some bread crumbs but I don’t know if it adds up to “bellwether” status.

Dems choosing Suozzi was a layup, and thankfully they didn’t throw it off the bottom of the backboard. The trumplicans made a questionable move. Pilip is inexperienced and didn’t make many appearances to garner support. And, to be blunt, a certain part of that base wouldn’t be fired up by a woman of color with a thick accent.

There are some possible good signs nationally for the Dems. In the suburbs, abortion rights were more important than immigration/border. And it’s in a place that is a big part of the immigration issue and sees it up close.

NY3 is very similar to five other swing districts in NY. That’s a good sign for November in the House race.

It’s a good night, and with the Pennsylvania state house win, I’d much rather be a democrat than a trumplican with these results.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    Baron Scicluna, garrow, qtlaw and 3 others like this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

One caveat on the possible impact nationally: NY3 was polled as a four-point Suozzi win, but within the margin of error.

The margin is now 8 points and could possibly go to double digits. That’s a pretty good ass kicking for a special election.

Democrats continue to consistently over perform. And the trumplicans continue to under perform since trump’s miracle in 2016.

Something to remember with every story based on the POLLS!?!?!?!?!

12. Deskgrunt50

Tonight, the democrats won two meaningful elections in New York and Pennsylvania.

The trumplicans held a massive circlejerk in the House. They wasted time on a masturbatory vote to impeach Mayorkas that is completely meaningless. Does nothing. Helps nobody. And will be forgotten by Thursday. And it was after they killed meaningful bipartisan legislation that would’ve had tangible results on an issue they’ve been crying about for decades.

These are not serious people.

Draft saved Draft deleted