1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's arbitrary power regardless of who she uses it against. But Christ, of course she did it BECAUSE it was Donald Trump. That kind of bullshit could have any number of people in a court room in New York City. ... and she's not spending her time that way.

And no, an unjust law is not a "c'est la vie" thing to me because it was passed in a democracy. We're supposed to be better than that, and we're supposed to have a bill of rights and system that helps protect our individual rights and civil liberties.

But injustices happen. ... and I'm not like you, I guess.

Jim Crow laws existed in this country. When Rosa Parks was found guilty, if I were sitting there telling you that it was an injustice and the law as it existed was being used to violate her civil rights. ... I'm sure you would have been telling me that it's great because it all had happened in a democratic way.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If any number of people in New York are misstating their assets to get cheaper loans, by all means prosecute them as well.

Octave and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Maga Sum Fraude

4. The Big Ragu

This wasn't a prosecution. It was a civil fraud case. And once again. ... Deutsche Bank -- the actual entity that would have been impacted by Trump "misstating" his assets -- has never claimed fraud, never sued him for fraud, and as far as any of us know, is still is fine with how THEY collateralized those loans to protect THEIR interests.

No. ... a judge at the behest of the state should not be empowered to substitute his judgments in that transaction for what the actual parties were perfectly fine with.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Lots of people weren't caught for the same tax crimes Al Capone committed. Guess the law shouldn't have applied to him.

Law on books. Law enforced correctly. You don't like the law, get it changed or don't break it. The end. I don't think I'd win any case, civil or criminal, by arguing that the law is dumb and I don't like it.

And I can't think of a more effective way to make me laugh at an overall point than to bring up Rosa Parks in this context. JFC.

6. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

So someone should just be able to defraud anyone they want and government shouldn't be able to interfere because FREEDUMB!!!

Injustice is using the power of the law to prey upon or subjugate the weak - which is what Jim Crow laws did. And those laws were eventually overturned because they were, in fact, both unjust and unconstitutional.

"Libertarians" think that "freedom" means the government should stay out of private business dealings, largely because they want to screw over the unsophisticated, the poor, and especially those they see as lesser for their own benefit. There's a reason that Libertarians think it's an injustice anytime that someone with a lot of money is held to account for their illegal actions in any manner.

It's because they jerk off to the idea of being super wealthy and think government regulation is all that's between them and obscene wealth. They view Trump and his casual racism coupled with a Liberace-Meets-Saddam aesthetic as the epitome of making it.

Square dealing means nothing to these people, who generally tend to also be deconstructionists when it comes to government because "MAH MONEY IZZ MAH MONEY!" But they're also too dumb to realize that the "deep state" and government regulation provide the certainty of law and the stability to the market to create an economy that makes America the richest nation in the world.

7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Fuck Donald Trump.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Once again, nobody alleges that Fatfuck didn't commit the crime. Only that it is unfair he should be punished for it.

Woody Long likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The state shouldn't have the abusive power to civilly go after people for fraud, when the supposed VICTIM ISN'T CLAIMING THEY WERE DEFRAUDED.

We have a civil system that allowed Deutsche Bank to seek remedy from Donald Trump if they -- you know, the one actually INVOLVED in the transaction -- thought they had been defrauded.

They never did. And in fact, what is funny about people mixing up this with a prosecution. ... is the fact that she went into court with that horseshit at all was that she TRIED to bring a criminal prosecution -- that was the focus of the investigation -- and didn't think she had the goods to get a conviction. So she found something pliable enough to use her considerable power to get him.

No, I don't want a judicial system that relies on you (or anyone else) deciding who is weak and who isn't, with the law manipulated based on who is deserving and who isn't. It's exactly what made Jim Crow laws POSSIBLE.

The rest of your post. ... is you not addressing anything I am saying.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

I think you meant to write, "WAAAAAHHHHH DONALD GOT FINED!!!"

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It was brought by an attorney general, not a district attorney. Attorneys general pursue civil cases all the time to protect the state's interests. The particular New York law at issue is somewhat unique, but it has been around a long time and was designed to give the state the ability to halt a conman from committing serial fraud in the course of business.

Donald Trump is precisely the type of person for whom it was intended and the Trump Organization the type of entity. He committed fraud on a mass scale in order to induce banks to provide credit and/or improve the terms. That the banks aren't complaining is irrelevant.

It's fundamentally the same as the routine prosecutions for people who get caught making false statements on their mortgage applications.

12. The Big Ragu

Yes, it was an AG not a DA.

I so disagree with you about this: "That the banks aren't complaining is irrelevant." In a civil case, there needs to be harm. ... and they would be the ones harmed if they don't secure enough collateral to back a loan. That doesn't even take into account that it's incumbent on them to do their due diligence. Trump says his 11,000 square foot apartment is 30,000 square feet? It's not like they have to make that loan without appraising the apartment independently.

It is not the same as people who make false statements on their mortgage applications, because the state would prosecute them criminally for that. It's a felony. The bank could seek redress civilly if they wanted (it's not worth it to them usually). Letitia James wouldn't be involved in a civil proceeding related to that.

What happened here was that she didn't think she could win a criminal prosecution of any sort after they dug and investigated. ... so she relied on some convoluted law that allowed her to give herself standing to claim fraud in a transaction that she wasn't a party to. The state should not have that kind of power. It's abusive.

Draft saved Draft deleted