1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's in the interests of the state of New York (and all states) that private business transactions are conducted in accordance with its laws.

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Poor Smelly Man, who called for the execution of the CP5 ... on no basis whatsoever

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh there was a basis.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The persons harmed by Trump's fraud are the suckers who didn't lie about their assets and thereby lost out on cheaper rates. You know, the honest people. The state has a valid interest in sanctioning such fraud it is in everyone's interest to promote honesty and sanction dishonesty.

FileNotFound and franticscribe like this.
  6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Harm is only an element that has to be proved in certain torts. Unjust enrichment is a type of harm.

7. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

I look forward to the coming treatise on why Lochner was rightly decided.

Anyhow, you know what a truly great outcome of this could be?

Fat Orange Hitler is going to be so broke that he's going to have to have a public defender at his criminal trial... and maybe then we can finally talk about the REAL two-tiered justice system in this country.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To generate enough cash, I recommend Trump try gambling the remainder of his assets on the Washington Generals. They’re way overdue to beat the Globetrotters.

OscarMadison and Woody Long like this.
  9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

A CJA panel lawyer or a Federal Public Defender would do a much better job representing him than we have seen his hired attorneys do so far.

Deskgrunt50 and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. Woody Long

This is true.

11. Woody Long

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"Unjust" is pliable nonsense in a valuation / financial transaction. I understand the Act, that Section 63(12). I understand HOW she used the law. I understand that she is standing there saying that Donald Trump somehow hurt everyone in New York.

I am saying she should not have that power -- and it's complete bullshit that HURTS us all. At best, it's populist nonsense that violates people's individual rights and serves to actually make things more expensive for us. At worst, you can arbitrarily use a power like that in any way you really want -- which is what is going on with that law in the hands of Letitia James.

There is no objectively "fair" value or terms for a loan. All you have is a lender and a borrower, and if they agree that a loan was just. ... guess what, it's just. THEY are the only beneficiaries of the transaction. As long as there was no coercion, and neither of THEM thing they were defrauded. ... it's their business, nobody else;s.

People jump on board with the nonsense. ... which is why I'll put it back to people in terms of your home or your salary. Let's say you sold your home for $800K, but some populist AG trying to win over the masses says, "No, that isn't just. It was only worth $400K and that needs to be remedied because you are hurting everyone in New York by charging too much for a home"

What you had was a transaction between you and a buyer who willingly and voluntarily traded the home for $800K.

What would your attitude be then about the power she has if she could walk into court and argue that the actual fair value of your home was less than you got, and even though the actual people involved in the transaction have never claimed any kind of fraud, a judge could then turn around and order you hand over $400K to NY State on the basis that you had committed a fraud?

That is more than roughly what happened here.

Draft saved Draft deleted