1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Self-identified independents are 1. 90 percent of them almost perpetual Democratic or Republican voters who ID as independent for self-esteem reasons. 2. The other 10 percent are the real swing voters, and are the ones who in general pay the least attention to politics among those who do vote. These statements have been confirmed by political science research and countless polls.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Polls show that independents are people who are really Democrats or Republicans, but say they are independent for self-esteem reasons? How do you poll something like that, because even if it is true, people really say, "Hey, I am a Democrat, but I say I am an independent for self-esteem reasons"?

Maybe my anecdotal experiences aren't the norm, but I know quite a number of people in my small sphere at least, who just don't care much for either of the two parties and the type of governance we get from them. My understanding of an independent was always just that.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So the most open minded and willing to change from D to R and back to D are the ones paying the least attention?

Sounds a little backward, since the ones who ostensibly are paying attention don't seem to be utilizing all this attention to consider they may be on the wrong side from time to time.

Maybe by "not paying attention" they're simply not seeking out confirmation of what they already believe all the time.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's not that simple.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don’t see the benefit of being a registered independent. The fact that you are registered for a certain party obviously doesn’t mean that you have to vote for only candidates of that party. I rather have the option to be able to vote in a primary than not.

6. Michael_ Gee

The self-esteem statement was editorializing on my part. That the vast majority of self-identified independents routinely vote for one of the two parties despite saying they are independent is as certain as anything in social science can be.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As a registered independent here, I can pick which primary I want to vote in.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

One of the few things Alabama gets right is that there is no formal party registration. When I go in next week, I can request a Democratic ballot or a GOP one (LOL). Only restriction is you can’t vote for Team A’s primary and then cross over to Team B for the runoff.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That’s a rarity — a well thought out voting system.

jr/shotglass and MileHigh like this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Here in Massachusetts, if you are registered without ID'ing a party preference, you can vote in either primary. About half the state's voters state no party preference. One-third are Democrats, one-sixth GOP. Many of the no preference voters are Republicans who want to participate in down ballot Democratic primaries which are quite often the real elections here, just as the Republican primaries are in your state.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course. You get two choices that have a realistic chance to win in our two-party system. Pragmatically, most people pick one or the other when they walk into the voting booth.

12. Michael_ Gee

My language was not clear enough. Most "independents" choose the SAME party in almost every election when they vote, be it the Democrats or Republicans. They are de facto partisans despite their self-identification.

Draft saved Draft deleted