1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not so sure about that.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If it means possibly taking control of congress, they'd hang his ass out to dry in a New York minute.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The rumor was leaked by an ally of Gaetz, MTG and Gosar. So it’s about as reliable as Aaron Rodgers’ thoughts of the origin of HIV.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You are missing my point. The Democrats now have de facto control of Congress. If Johnson pisses them off too much, they can just let Margie pull the plug. So Johnson isn't gonna piss them off too much.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My point is total control is better than de facto control, and they'll let Moscow Marge burn it down to get it.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

They can't. Just don't have the numbers. Takes 218 to elect the Speaker, and despite the fantasies of that Florida loon Luna, the Democrats can't get there. The current situation is much better for them If there's a bipartisan majority for a bill, even if it's only 6 or 7 Republicans for it, Dems can tell Johnson, "bring it to the floor, or else."

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's part of why I think the threat is a strategy to back down the crazies - but there could certainly be a couple of people who have said to themselves "If those morons go through with this, I swear I'm hanging them up and going home."

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They have no such thing. There was a coalition available for this one thing because old-line Washington can still rally around Moar Tanks & Bombers. There aren’t going to be dozens of House Republicans suddenly converted to the AOC agenda.

FileNotFound and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

The vote for Johnson isn't a permanent fixture, though. Sure, he gets support for putting the bills on the floor, but he's still hardcore MAGA conservative.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
  10. Neutral Corner

I saw it from an actual conservative Republican first, not her. I'm gonna have to go dig it out I guess.

11. Michael_ Gee

See post #81354 above. Of course the Democrats can't enact their agenda. But they can force Johnson to avoid the chaos (no FAA!, government shutdown) that Trump and the MAGAs want as the background for the election, but that some other Republicans don't. The Democrats can capitalize on splits in the Republican caucus when they do occur. That is an extraordinary situation for a House minority.
    Plus, let's get real. This is an election year. The true bipartisan coalition in Congress is for doing the bare minimum and getting out of DC as soon as possible to campaign until November.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The other thing to remember is a few of the vacancies (current and would-be) will get filled back in via appointments and special elections. So even if power swung all the way over to Jeffries, he better be here for a good time because it ain’t a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted