1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

KGB,
    EASY
    AS MTG

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

See, this is why we can't have nice headlines.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The pro-Palestine protestors are railing against Biden.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My wife works for the Governor of Pennsylvania and was interrogated by my well-meaning Boomer uncle (age 70) at Christmas dinner for over an hour.

This is a college educated man with a bachelors in mine engineering who has made a tidy sum running his own company and his wife, my aunt, my mom's sister, had a degree in nursing. Every topic was a Fox News talking point: the border, how many coming over the border are single men, how many of THOSE are from China, Christianity under attack.

I can tell you there are eight light bulbs in my aunt and uncle's chandelier above their dining room table, because I stared at it while lamenting my situation. And God bless my wife, who ducked and dodged these stupid questions while landing a few hits to the face like Sugar Ray Leonard in his prime.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore.

"You know, I think it's hilarious that I was told when I was a kid that watching too much TV was gonna' rot my brain, yet you guys watch nonstop Fox News and..."

My cousin, who is 36, bust out laughing, high-fived me and said, "oh you have no idea."

The people who thought I would turn into a devil worshipper if I watched too much MTV are the ones who are poisoned.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

There are literal case studies of how normal, well-adjusted, intelligent people have retired and then got brain rot. My late father was one of them. It's like a drug. My mom still fusses about how when they went somewhere, they always had to get back to where they were staying so he could turn on Fox. He was very high up the food chain business executive. He retired in 2001, and for the next two decades did nothing but watch Fox and listen to Rush 10+ hours a day. I don't know how many times he'd say something like, "I saw on the news" and I'd reply, "No, you saw it on Fox" or I'd bring up something fact based, "I haven't heard anything about that" to which I'd respond "I know you haven't because I know what you've been listening to all day."

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'll see your Fox News and raise you Russia Today, which he was a frequent viewer of until they pulled the plug. Him moving to Fox was basically me moving from shopping at Circuit City to Best Buy.

HanSenSE and Driftwood like this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I really tried to be respectful even with the somewhat ridiculous takes on the protests at Columbia (because IMO there is no real “right” answer). When Mrs. W’s friend said something like “I know we get our news from different sources”, I slightly tensed up for a second but decided for reasons of marital harmony not to say anything. As we walked back to our car, Mrs. W said to me that she knew that I was ready to go on a rant about Fox News and appreciated that I didn’t.

But watching Fox is the life blood for these two women. It is on constantly and is the soundtrack of their lives.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

M ... o ... u ... s ... eeeeeeee

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I think I've told this before, but when my dad had his stroke, he had to go into a physical rehab place for couple of weeks. The facility had ALL cable news blocked. The only thing they could get was local channels, MASH, Andy Griffith, Gunsmoke, and Bonanza. The whole point was to keep people who were supposed to be recovering from getting riled up. It was great, but my dad raised the dickens.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's a problem? :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted