1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If you spend 5 minutes reading about this case, it’s premeditated murder. It is fucking shocking to pardon this monster.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Not for that governor and not in Texas.

OscarMadison and matt_garth like this.
  4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Trump's lawyers did a very good job poking holes in Cohen's testimony today, but there was no gotcha moment, or no line of questioning that really derailed the prosecution's case. Just a lot of little hits.

I have no idea what the jury will do, but I do think the Manhattan DA has put together a compelling narrative. A hung jury is probably best case for Trump at this point. I doubt we see an acquittal. A hung jury is also a worst case scenario for this trial's effect on the political atmosphere.

Also, there's no way his lawyers want him to testify, but he gets to make that choice, rarely follows advice and thinks he's smarter than everyone around him. It would not surprise me if he decides to take the stand.

Driftwood and MileHigh like this.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If Trump was credible, he could testify that it was to protect his marriage/family. But no one will believe him.

garrow, franticscribe and HanSenSE like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No doubt Trump sees it as an opportunity, freed of the gag order, to lash out at Daniels, Cohen and others than to present evidence in his defense. That will go over well.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

That Donald Trump, I say, that Donald Trump character has more crimes than season 2 of the Sopranos.

[​IMG]

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Abbott is such a monster. I don't know how your heart goes that cold and dark.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Dick don’t work.

So he fucks everyone else.

bumpy mcgee likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

From what I was reading/following today, I agree. Seems the defense made a bit of inroads but you have no idea what the jury is thinking through all of this.

A hung jury would come across as a win for Trump.

franticscribe likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If Trump dies, how many living presidents come to his funeral? None, one, all of them?

I hope we find out soon.

12. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

In defense of WaPo and NYT, they have a much wider breadth and depth of topics that they cover. While the WSJ is a national publication that covers much more than business, it makes Wall Street very much a focal point of its coverage still.

This evening, the NYT has Alito, the Trump Trial, Russia/Ukraine, Israel/Hamas, and a controversial pardon by Greg Abbott as its top five topics, along with the traditional entertainment/fluff/opinion sidebar down the right rail. Hard to be picky about that.

Draft saved Draft deleted