1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It’s just as fucking ridiculous.

This time of year in any election cycle is the worst. There’s no good information so this type of crap fills the void.

It’s written for two reasons. To make trump seem inevitable, which he isn’t, and depress/confuse low-information swing voters. And making trump seem inevitable makes his violent, unhinged base act more violent and unhinged when he loses. Jan. 6 will look like a garden party.

I fucking promise you New York will be called at 9:01 and Biden will win by 20-25 points.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Deskgrunt50

And there weren't 8,000 people in a park that holds 3,500. With a permit for 3,500. That was half-fucking full.

I don't mean to rail, Songbird. But this absolute fabricated bullshit really pisses me off. It's my home and none of the shit in that piece is remotely true. And it's part of a larger disinformation campaign that's fucking infuriating. None of this trump rally shit is legit. None of it.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You're right about that.

But show me a single story about this stuff ...

It’s a great time to be an assignment editor on the national political desk.

There are so many issues the public is terribly misinformed about that solid reporting could clear up.

There are so many extreme ideas in Trump’s dark vision for a second term that need to be gamed out.

And there are still so many secrets about Trump’s past conduct to dig into.

So I really don’t get why assignment editors instead continue to focus so much on horserace and poll coverage. Those are boring and unenlightening compared to what the public really needs to know.

In fact, if I were an assignment editor on a national political desk, here are some of the stories I would assign.

Better Off Today Than Four Years Ago
    Story Idea: Total job growth since Biden became president amounts to about 15 million jobs. Go find some of the people who have jobs today who didn’t under Trump and ask them how they’re feeling about the economy.

https://presswatchers.org/2024/05/s...d-other-urgent-story-assignments-for-the-msm/

The cumsuckers at CNN, WaPo, NYT etc etc doing their damnedest to suck polls and lick Trump's taint instead of doing, you know, journalism.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And it's effective. Less than 165 days away.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's New York for goodness sakes. Street mimes can attract similar crowds. Very big crowded place. In any event, no story in politics is stupider than the rally crowd story, and that goes for all the lefty reporters who go on social media to goof on the Trump attendees, too. Not that they don't deserve to be goofed on, but it tells us nothing about the election. The election will be decided by the millions of people who're out living their lives this afternoon without a political thought in their heads. Hard to do stories about those folks though. I wouldn't advise going down to the crowded beach down my street and asking sunbathers about Biden and Trump. You'd get a lot of "fuck offs" and rightly so.

7. Deskgrunt50

I agree with every word of this and it's absolutely infuriating.

8. Deskgrunt50

I'll hold judgment on how effective it is. People here, like us, are plugged in and pissed off by it. The trump cult is plugged into their own reality and are now sure trump is going to win New York.

The other 70 percent of the country is at a barbecue, which is where I wish I was. And they'll start to get curious in September.

I've got a lot of fun plans this summer. Gonna do my best to be one of the 70 percent until September.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The weirdest thing about elections is that the people who think about them the most are the ones who are absolutely certain, one way or the other, how they're gonna vote. If they donate or volunteer, they think about it constantly. Meanwhile, the people who have no idea how they're gonna vote, who theoretically should then be giving the candidates and their platforms a great deal of scrutiny, aren't thinking about it at all.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Why is law enforcement always spying on me?"

"Why have criminal charges been filed against me?"

Because You're A Fucking Criminal

11. Deskgrunt50

I'm not even sure how many genuinely undecided voters there are this time around. To be sure, pure speculation on my part. But I think a lot of people are just looking at this as a rerun and don't really need to pay attention until it's time to vote.

I also think there's a massive amount of women who are just waiting quietly to stick the dagger in trump when they are given the opportunity. Some speculation by me, but also based on every election held since Roe.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted