1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not to work @Neutral Corner , uh, corners, but ...

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Let's hope so

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the combo of Trump-Robinson-Michele Morrow on the ballot in North Carolina pushes the would-be ticket splitters to vote Dem up and down the ballot. We've got a handful of other whackadoodles running on the GOP ticket for important state offices, but those three are sucking up all the air.

Driftwood and garrow like this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I feel (FEEL!) the faux optimism about Biden winning N.C. is very misplaced. Although I wish him well.

5. franticscribe

I'm not optimistic Biden will win North Carolina, but if Trump has to spend time and money here because a Biden win is possible, that's a good thing for Biden.

I'm very worried about some of our down ballot races, a couple of which will have potential effects on my work.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Shock! What a travesty

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Mississippi repealed a similar law in 2020 under threat of a lawsuit. That one required a majority of the vote plus a majority of state House districts, otherwise it was decided by the legislature.

Mississippi Ballot Measure 2, Remove Electoral Vote Requirement and Establish Runoffs for Gubernatorial and State Office Elections Amendment (2020)

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Biden won’t win NC. For all its self-congratulatory rhetoric about being smart and forward-looking, it seldom does the right thing.

garrow and franticscribe like this.
  9. franticscribe

Todd Blanche ended the defense's closing with a statement about the jury having to decide whether to send Trump to prison, which is a wholly inappropriate argument that if the state made would result in a mistrial. Now the judge is going to give the jury a "curative instruction" that while specific to that point can easily be perceived by the jury as the judge saying the defense counsel is full of sh*t and should be ignored.

Once again, this trial has gone extremely well for the prosecution, and a good bit of that is thanks to decisions the defense has made.

Of course juries are unpredictable and there could be something one or more of them sees that makes them view the state's case poorly.

Whatever way they go, it seems like it's time to brace for impact.

2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"He's gonna get caught, just you wait and see."

"Why is everybody always pickin on me?!?!"

11. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I completely understand that closing statements in real life are never of the 3-minute variety on Law & Order. But, all day long? I would imagine I would tire of that quickly. But perhaps something of this level is interesting enough not to bore the average person to tears with two hours-long summations? Or is that a misstep by attorneys/defense?

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I’ve said repeatedly that I don’t see how we ever get a clean verdict one way or the other on any trial in America. If all it takes is one person who is bored/tired/ignorant/in the bag/pissed off for being there to hang a jury, it’s just amazing to me.

franticscribe and jr/shotglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted