1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

But if we got rid of the fence, what would politicians pose in front of while they pretended to care?

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The next school shooting, while asking for thoughts and prayers.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

You didn’t need a passport, or any papers at all. As long as you didn’t have an infectious disease, you were out in a few hours.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We had a population of 4 million, with 3.25 million square miles of undeveloped territory that needed to be built.

Situations can change over 2+ centuries.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or just about any roofing crew working on a summer day.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So the USA is full now? We don't need mass immigration to pick our crops, clean our hotel rooms, work in restaurant kitchens, manicure our landscapes and all the other jobs most white folks now consider beneath them?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I had a roof installed two years ago. I bet if I asked for (and they complied) to see papers, 100% of the workers would have been citizens or legal permanent residents.

We need "immigration." Our birth rates are shit right now.

We don't need "uncontrolled illegal immigration."

And we sure as fuck don't need 14-year-old immigrants sticking their hands in meat processing machinery.

A difference that escapes too many people.

9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Not much noise lately from Steve Schmidt, who helped give us Alito.
    Thin-skinned jackass.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I deal with the roofing industry a lot in my professional life. Your statement may be true for the crew you hired, but a large percentage of roofers are not legal immigrants.

There's a major trend in the roofing industry for the name-brand company that's been in your community for decades to sell you the job and then sub out the work - often to a guy who in years past would've been a crew foreman working directly for the company. They encourage him to set up his own corporate entity, sub the work to him and then he hires the laborers, and typically classifies them as independent contractors if he bothers doing taxes at all.

When you start digging into those subcontractors, about the only paperwork they're doing is to establish the corporate entity and maybe some tax filings. There's not a lot of adherence to laws around employing immigrants without lawful status and there is a lot of cash payment happening.

We see the same thing in other areas of construction, but roofing is probably the biggest. Framing and painting are the next two.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

A quasi-Trumpist in-law works for a Pre-Fab concrete company (think big drainage pipes and pieces to bridges).

They bought out a smaller competitor. Cleared the place out of undocumented workers - something like 40 percent of their manpower. Couldn't fill the jobs. Used a temp agency to hire back all the illegals, who are now employees of the temp agency (And not the concrete company).

My in-law still seems lost on the whole "OMG the immigrants are taking our jobs!" thing.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jury has resumed deliberations.

Draft saved Draft deleted