1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

FIFY.

Even that probably isn't accurate, I imagine a lot of Black folks up there did. I've seen Black people in Atlanta, Houston, and Birmingham celebrate it for decades.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

When I began working as a photographer at a smaller southeast Kansas Gannett paper in the early 80s, we covered Juneteenth celebrations.

I think that one of the reasons Juneteenth was “virtually unknown to the majority of the country” is because the celebrations have been less alcohol-fueled than niche cultural holidays such as St. Patrick’s Day or Cinco de Mayo. Give white folks an excuse to get drunk and they’ll be all in.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You quoted me. … but changed what I posted. I didn’t say that. Ok.

4. Neutral Corner

Apropos of nothing in particular, this paragraph:

"But the real con that drove The Apprentice is far older than television. The “pig in the poke” comes from an idiom dating to 1555: “I’ll never buy a pig in a poke / There’s many a foul pig in a fair cloak.” It refers to the time-honored scam of selling a suckling pig at market but handing over a bag (the poke) to the purchaser, who never looks inside it. Eventually, he discovers he’s purchased something quite different."

This is the origin of two different proverbs. "Don't buy a pig in a poke", as above, a poke being a burlap bag or something similar, meaning don't purchase something without examining it. See also, "Don't let the cat out of the bag", as often instead of buying a suckling pig in a bag - "Don't look inside, if it gets out you'll never catch it" the bag usually contained a stray cat.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Yeah, that's kinda the point of a "Fixed It For You" post.

HanSenSE and Justin_Rice like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

I was saying that Juneteenth was virtually unknown to people in this country before there was a revival in late 2010s, and it was elevated to a national holiday in 2021. It's just a fact.

There is nothing to "fix" unless the idea was to put words into my mouth.

7. Neutral Corner

Although I had not seen it yet, Dixie's "Nobody you know did" post following yours, with several likes, means that I'm not the only one who read it that way.

Guys, Ragu didn't say what was in the FIFY post, I did.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No, the first reaction from the Trump camp is that it's fake. Which also is par for the course. Apparently there are tapes. But they'll say those were faked also. I guess the guy went out and hired Frank Caliendo to imitate Trump.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Big if true.

10. Neutral Corner

To put it another way, I'm not accusing Ragu of some sort of racism. I'm speculating on a lack of exposure/awareness. I'm sure that there are plenty of Black people up North who don't celebrate or care about Juneteenth. I'm equally certain that there are a number of them who do.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

Just tried to Google furiously, and the best I could find. ... In 2021, the first year Juneteenth was a national holiday, Gallop did a national poll, and only 37 percent of the respondents knew anything about Juneteenth. And that was when it was already in the news because Biden had announced that it was going to be a national holiday. I wish the same poll existed in 2019 or 2015 or anytime before and I could post the small percentage of people who would have had any clue what Juneteenth was, although why would anyone have polled it, it was a virtually unknown celebration to most of the country that wasn't being turned into a national holiday?

Fred siegle likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

Feel free to attribute racism to me. Maybe it will get LIKES!

Draft saved Draft deleted