1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Is Katy Tur going to be the next MSNBC anchor to get the boot? She trends every other week it seems.
    OLbermann ripped her apart on his podcast, even claimed she hit him while he was recovering from surgery.
    This is one crazy-ass timeline.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So Musk won the stockholder vote yesterday to get back his $50B Twitter salary. In Twitter news more likely to affect the public, you can no longer see another person's likes on Twitter. This sounds like something positive/no big deal until you think back on all the stories where a given politician is found to have liked racist Tweets, tweets by Proud Boys, and other such discoveries.

Fucking Elmo.

franticscribe and HanSenSE like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The key to Trump's vile viability (even more than his cowardly party, his cult members or the propaganda "news" outlets that protect and promote him) is the f*ckin' Electoral College, man. Without it, he's a footnote, a Trivial Pursuit answer. (This insane businessman lost to the first female POTUS).

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There’s a technical term for that. It’s called “not a lot of black people.”

A Democrat running for president can pretty much lock in 40 percent of the vote from Mississippi. But that last 10 percent is never coming in.

tapintoamerica and franticscribe like this.
  5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that, in the wake of all the fallout from the settlement of the House case, chances are even more slim that Electoral College will ever get a football team.

maumann likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It is his Tesla CEO compensation. It had nothing to do with Twitter.

8. Neutral Corner

Yeah, I came to post the thing about the likes. The other was a throw in, and I didn't confirm which company's pay structure it was.

I regret the error. Thank you for the correction.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There goes Wisconsin.

Jesus_Muscatel and garrow like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm actually way more interested in the convention that is going to be in Chicago.

My working theory is that anti-Israel / pro-Palestinian demonstrators are not going to be able to help themselves, and the images America is going to see from that convention are going to be. ... well, a shitshow.

Take a public that 1) hasn't been paying attention to the election yet and doesn't hang on everything the way people on this board are, 2) Is already disaffected, because more than half the population doesn't feel very financially secure and over the last several years have seen their monthly expenses explode higher, and then. ... 3) Just as they are turning their attention to the election, the images they are going to see will be demonstrators in the streets at the Democratic Convention burning Israeli and U.S. flags and using "Death to Israel, Death to America" rhetoric.

If it plays out that way, I will not be surprised in the least when Trump has it won by September. ... despite him being Donald Trump and him doing all the moronic things he is inevitably going to do throughout the election season.

America is reaping what it has sowed.

12. Neutral Corner

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/06/13/starbucks-union-supreme-court-decision/

Supreme Court sides with Starbucks in blow to union activists
    Legal experts say the decision could make it tougher for the National Labor Relations Board to obtain relief for unions when companies are accused of violating labor law.

"The Supreme Court ruled Thursday to restrict the National Labor Relations Board’s authority to obtain relief for fired union activists, in a win for Starbucks that could deal a blow to labor organizing efforts.

In April, the justices heard Starbucks’s challenge to a federal district court’s 2022 decision to order the coffee retailer to reinstate a group of seven baristas who claimed Starbucks fired them from a Memphis store in retaliation for union-organizing.

The Seattle-based coffee giant says the move to fire the Memphis workers was within its rights under the law because the workers violated company policy by inviting a TV news crew into the store after hours. The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) agreed at the time with the workers’ claim that Starbucks had illegally fired them, and a court granted an injunction forcing Starbucks to rehire the workers."

Draft saved Draft deleted