1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But … but …. He’s such an eloquent speaker and teacher of the Gospel.

Woody Long and outofplace like this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I hear it now and then on the high school football field from teammates to other teammates. It's an automatic ejection here.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Great swing voter message concerned with cost of living

matt_garth likes this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Dear god, how can you say shit like that?

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Naked squatting and coughing in front of someone paid to be there is what Trump calls Friday nights.

garrow likes this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Some would argue he already is. Probably has a higher body count on him with COVID and various racial killings.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trump: Foreigners who graduate from US colleges should get a green card.

Trump campaign: Wellllll, what he really means is …

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

The schwartze thing reminded me of an old practice in Cincinnati when I worked at the paper there. Instead of the n-word, an older woman gestured like she was wiping something off her cheek. I had no idea until another staffer, who hailed from the area, explained that was a way of saying the n-word without actually saying it.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Biden should press Congress on this. It’s what der Trumpenfuhrer wants, we should do it!

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

BOND. ... JAMES BOND.
    Good God, Brits, send us Bond NOW!

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm going to respond to this, because you asked.

Yes, I think she was assaulted when she was 12, based on her accusations and Morris's admissions.

I don't know what kind of pressure there was. I wasn't privy to the goings-on at the time. But she wasn't 12 when she started trying to address the situation with church officials. She was 35, and she had meetings with Morris regarding her allegations at that time (2005), as well as a couple of years later (2007), when she apparently got serious and retained a lawyer. I read somewhere that her parents were also involved with those meetings, and if they were not satisfied with the results of those encounters, it was incumbent upon the the family to go to the police. In fact, they should have gone to police much sooner -- indeed, before approaching any church officials. I think this is where things got hung up.

I don't intend to blame the victim or her family regarding that, but this is a major issue in the case. Both the legal statute of limitations, and, most likely, even the civil case, are long expired, according to the laws at the time during which the sexual abuse took place (although that would not be true were it to have been happening now). They would've had an even stronger case if, as it seems, Shady Oaks church officials at the time did not report the Clemishire accusations once they were made aware of them, as the law requires. So, all the more reason to involve the police.

The Dallas Morning News article below addresses the statute questions/situation well, if others can read it (I'm not sure of that).

Gateway Church founder Robert Morris accused of past abuse. Could he be charged?

To answer your question, though, if Clemishire had still been a child, or even a near-adult teenager, I could see there being pressure. But otherwise, as an adult, if she wanted real, legally applicable justice, no, I don't see it, particularly if she had the support of her family, and I'd have gone straight to the police if Shady Oaks officials did not do so at the time. Morris was a nobody back then, and would've been arrested, at least, and maybe even charged, with at least something.

Also, no, I don't see the likelihood of anybody jumping for joy in this situation, or as I thought Clemishire did, sounding too gleeful about anything. It makes me question her motives, sure, in part, because of my own feelings of upset over Morris. But it really rubbed me the wrong way.

I tend to be a forgiving person, and certainly, I try to be when it's called for. I just don't usually see, forever and always, no matter what, someone's worst act being necessarily the only thing that matters in their life. Particularly if there is evidence of change, betterment, and...good, as I believe there has been in the case of Morris.

So, the rest of my view on this is emotional: This, to me, is a vengeance quest, and maybe, a money grab, after too long a time, given that there is unlikely to be either a legal or civil case at this point.

I know I do wonder about Clemishire's parents -- she first told them about Morris's abuse when when she was 17 -- and now, I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall in the Morris household, either. Like it or not, the Morrises are very church-oriented -- both of the pastor's sons are also pastors -- and his daughter's a missionary, I think.

Anyway, I do hope Clemishire finally gets what she wants out of this situation, although, as I've said, I don't really think she will. And yes, I hope the Morrises, and Gateway Church, too, also recover, in time.

This is the last I will say about this topic unless and until something new arises, perhaps as a result of Gateway Church's investigation, or some other news.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted