1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Only thing I learned tonight is one guy is really old, and the other guy is old and a lying asshole.

Like I said, the pundits will have their fun for a week. Then July 4 hits and nobody is going to remember a thing.

SFIND, TowelWaver and Smallpotatoes like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That’s just not true.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Democracy doesn’t die in darkness. It died live on CNN.

(Based on the reactions I’m seeing. I was watching Ted Lasso reruns.)

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Steven Van Zandt documentary on HBO is interesting

OscarMadison and I Should Coco like this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Dems should just nominate an insane celebrity from NY with zero political experience. Michael Rapaport is available.

SFIND likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Taylor Swift will be 35 in December. The Constitution doesn't say anything about being 35 at the time of the election, just to hold the office.

She's as qualified as the two guys on TV tonight and way more popular.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

As qualified as the two moderators? Yes. As qualified as Biden? No.

OscarMadison, SFIND and TowelWaver like this.
  8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

He did not. He said nothing, actually. Just a lot of vague "they's" "you's" (meaning Biden), "unbelievable" this or that, oh, and "border," "border," "border" (virtually the only issue that moves Trump at all).

Biden did actually say some things, and he did get better as the debate went on -- something the post-debate analysts have not brought up, at all. But I'm afraid his age, and whatever effects that has, or may have, on him could not be ignored in this instance, and some voters may even go another direction because of it now.

The only thing that will save this election is if enough people keep in mind that, even if Biden is a bad option to them, Trump really is so much worse, and for less natural and germane reasons than old age. I mean, Trump is a habitual liar, an unprofessional, un-Presidential speaker and person, and, oh, yes, he's a criminal who should not have been allowed by the Republican party to be a candidate at all.

Trump, you know, the Nazi supporter, literally could not care less about Blacks, Hispanics, children/child care (I literally laughed to myself when the moderator tried to direct that issue at him), anybody not in the top 1 percent, or even veterans or the handicapped, and he doesn't need Social Security, so...Biden it is, unless another, better option is presented.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024 at 12:48 AM
  9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I don't know how anyone can seriously look at the work that was done the last four years and suggest that Biden can't do the job.

He has been doing the job. His presidency has been completely normal. He's made gaffes - so have past presidents. He's stumbled - so have other presidents.

But the government is operating. Laws are being advocated for and signed - or vetoed, when necessary. People are getting the services they need and deserve, even if it could still be done better and faster. There is work to be done, but progress is being made.

That was not the case in Trump's four years. It was chaos, if not daily, then weekly.

Biden's presidency is an argument for what the founders envisioned - president as head of state and chief advocate for the American people, who would take ideas and charge Congress with creating and passing laws to codify those ideas. Trump's presidency is what modern authoritarians want and what the founding fathers were trying to prevent - an executive with extreme power.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The reactions I’m reading about this from democrats is showing why these bed wetters lose every eight goddamned years and have to hit the reset button.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Look, all of this is true. And Biden could die tomorrow and I'd vote for him over Trump. Frankly, I'd probably feel better about the vote if that were the case.

But anyone who is even remotely on the fence? This was a killer.

12. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

The key question being, after the last 8 years, how many are still on the fence at this point?

OscarMadison, SFIND and Gutter like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted