1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I know I take my political cues from a white libertarian New York edgelord.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I get that debate prep is mostly about staying on script, saying the talking points and appearing presidential, those were times that Biden could have needled him better and mock him.

“They asked you about childcare, Dummy. Can’t you keep up and focus?”

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Countries all over the world are having a hearty laugh at our expense.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Great Britain and France are having elections in the next week, and believe me, they are too depressed to laugh at anyone.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I watched about 30 minutes, got so pissed off and depressed that I turned it off.

Someone mentioned Twitter, but last night was the trigger for me finally deleting the app. My "For You" feed was nothing but the far right wackos (Pos, Candace Owens, that Barstool cocksmooch, etc.). Zero balance. I've actually noticed in the last few weeks that Elon is feeding a ton of far right-wing ads to that feed. No thanks. It's clear what info he wants out there. Fuck that asshole.

6. Michael_ Gee

The worst thing about being a Democrat is having people in it far more important than me who're such panicky, pants-wetting losers. The front page of the UK's Guardian is all about calls for Biden to drop out of the race from Democrats. Of course, none of these Democrats have the guts to put their names to that call. Of course some pundits have, but they don't count (former sports pundits knows that). Biden blew a big chance to turn this election around last night. No doubt about it. But disappointment should not equal giving into to uncontrolled fear. And it sure shouldn't equal running to reporters to wail "all is lost." If granted anonymity, of course. You thought Biden was too old? Why didn't you run against him back in the winter primaries, you gutless sack of shit?

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Michael, you don't really think this is an election that will be decided by issues, do you? I can't stress ENOUGH how little Ukraine, oil prices, economic policy are going to have to do with the final result. Developed minds, like those on this board, deal with issues. Thinking that America is populated by people who think that deep is erroneous.

This is about a cult of personality.

TigerVols likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump should step aside.

9. Michael_ Gee

I don't think so. If Trump's cult was that strong, he'd be headed for a landslide victory (Haley would be naming her cabinet by now). He's not popular. Biden is not popular. That's why we have a close election. All last night did was strengthen the perceptions that make it close -- for both guys.

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are seeing the world in an insular way. We have divided this country between haves and have nots with the mess we created. You can't look at the aggregate. You need to look the half of the people (who can vote) who are getting slaughtered.

You have a segment of the haves who are feeling very flush. Their home is worth more, they have a low-rate mortgage, their stock portfolio has appreciated in value. That is all due to all of the debt we have monetized to live a multidecade fantasy. ... it creates monetary inflation, and people who HAVE money. ... have stayed afloat. The very wealthiest have been the biggest beneficiaries. We have blown monetary-induced bubbles in any kind of risk asset or collectible (such as art or classic sports cars or rare bottles of whiskey) you can think of. If you own any stock that throws the word AI into a press release, you have gotten wealthier. So if you had money. ... you have just gotten richer due to extreme debt levels and the monetization it has required (which exacerbates the wealth disparity and leaves increasing numbers of people behind).

I am talking about the people NOT going through TSA checkpoints. They are well more than half of the population today, and their numbers have risen dramatically. For every TSA anecdote you give me. ... I can throw at you record credit card debt levels, the fact that a huge percentage of population doesn't have $400 to meet an emergency or the lack of retirement savings that Gen X has a whole.

Polling consistently is showing that just 35 percent of Americans today feel that they're going to better off than their parents were. A generation ago that number was closer to 80 percent.

Think of it this way. If I give you 10 twos and 3 100s, you can tell me, "Hey, we're averaging 24.6! Things are great!" Tell that to the 10 twos.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

What should we do about any of this?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He wasn't with it. Maybe it's because his team, eager to win on the facts Trump disregards anyway, gave Biden too many details that he got mixed up in his mind. It doesn't matter.

Abortion is a winning issue for the Democrats, and Biden, within his answer, noted that giving abortion to the states is like saying giving the civil rights issue to the states. Now, never mind that our Congress actually signed a Civil Rights bill, and any Congress could do the same for abortion, but Biden made a point.

What he said directly after reflected an aged mind overheating:

Look, there’s so many young women who have been – including a young woman who just was murdered and he – he went to the funeral. The idea that she was murdered by a – by –by an immigrant coming in, and they talk about that. But here’s the deal, there’s a lot of young women who are being raped by their – by their in-laws, by their – by their spouses, brothers and sisters, by – just – it’s just – it’s just ridiculous. And they can do nothing about it.

Now, the immigrant line was not a good counterpoint anyway, even if Mayor Pete was trying to unpack it. What Biden means to say is, there are young girls violated in the worst ways imaginable, and, in some states, they don't have recourse to terminate a pregnancy. What he actually said suggested is there are a lot of young women being raped by their husband's father and/or brothers.

He needs to step away.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted