1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Newsom, I suppose. Too late for that.

Man, if RFK, Jr. didn’t have squirrels running around in his head, he’d have picked up 20 points in the polls this morning.

Ross Perot would win in a landslide against these guys.

OscarMadison and dixiehack like this.
  2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It would have to be Whitmer or Newsom. My guess would be Whitmer because that creates fewer problems bypassing Harris, which would be a huge slap in the face to a large part of the party's base.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They're so stupid that they'd pick Hillary again.

"Come on! She can't screw it up a THIRD time, right?"

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The answer is Gavin Newsom - but I'll let the polling sort that out. And anyone thinking it will be a "brokered" Dem convention is kidding themselves. The delegates will vote for who they are told to vote for. The Biden camp even vetted those just running for delegate spots hoping to avoid any Palestinian protestors. There will be no "floor fights" - it will be very choreographed.
    That said - getting a new Dem nominee this close to the convention will really spice things up. Harris will have to get over any bruised feelings if it isn't her. Maybe Biden steps down from President and gives her the distinction of being the first woman President - if only for six months, while Newsom campaigns. There are worse ideas.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If the Democratic National Committee is sitting there this morning thinking, "Oh, it's fine. Voters will forget about this in five months," they've got their heads stuck in the world's deepest hole.

With a chance to just show some level of competence, Joe Biden couldn't have done worse if they rolled him out intubated on a gurney. I don't care if he's the incumbent -- you don't have people worried about "dementia" this morning in swing states and not think it's a massive liability.

The people in California and New York and big cities are still going to provide enough Biden votes to win handily there. But the people who watched that debacle in Macon and Winston-Salem and Lansing -- the states where the election is going to be won or lost -- have to be wondering about a sickly, aged incumbent who could not have appeared more frail and out of touch than the President did last night.

The people living in those places, for the most part, are worried about paying the bills and feeding their families, not Ukraine or student loans or even Roe v. Wade. Inflation is very real to them, and they don't care if the other guy is a lying, grifting convicted felon. If he promises things will get better, and the uneducated believe his BS, it's better than continuing to struggle under the current situation.

I live in an area where there are just as many "F--- Biden" flags as there are "Trump 2024." Yeah, I get that those people are going to vote Trump anyway, but the huge concern that the DNC should have is the percentage of the population who think both candidates are unqualified aren't going to waste their time going to the polls in November.

Poor turnout will get Biden beat. If 50,000 fewer Georgians vote, they'll flip this state red.

Biden won in 2020 for two reasons. He wasn't Trump. And there was a record turnout. "We've always done it this way" is a sure way to get your ass beat in November.

Get Gavin and Gretchen warming up in the bullpen.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Lol. Can't argue there.

The left will bury details of this debate because it hurts to revisit them, but a more irreverent generation of Democrats would note the in-laws line is among the most ridiculous things ever said in a debate.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is interesting looking at the PredictIt markets and seeing the pro-Biden markets crashing during the debate - while Trump held steady or rose slightly. It wasn't like Trump had a great night. But I guess that's "baked in" at this point.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It would have to happen before Chicago. Democrats plan to nominate Biden and Harris virtually to avoid missing the Ohio ballot deadline.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If Donald Trump wasn't Donald Trump, I'd think the winning move would be to show sympathy and compassion for Biden today. ... like he's an old man who deserves your pity because it's time to put him out to pasture.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This no longer can be a justification for inaction. Fuckers NEED to be slapped in the face. Sometimes "fuck your feelings!" really is the correct play.

OscarMadison and Tarheel316 like this.
  11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Excellent analysis.

maumann likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think Whitmer is the best replacement at this stage. She’s successful and vetted so I doubt there would be a huge scandal to pop out and derail her.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted