1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This is spot-on.

maumann likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I've seen enough

3. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Trump should not debate President Biden again. Let this one debate performance define Biden and Trump wins. I'm sure GOP operatives are already urging this.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He's been President for three and a half years. His record is not that of a doddering dotard. He had a bad debate. If that's more important than his record, then what's the point of governing? I get that people are scared that Trump will win. But I guarantee you the most certain thing in politics is that if Biden steps down of his own volition (a genuine health crisis would be different), Trump wins, and by more than he would if Biden stays in.

5. Michael_ Gee

Having "won: debate one, there's no keeping Trump away from debate two.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

His record is outstanding. He got things done. He obviously has a very capable and loyal staff. Many, I presume, would be asked to stay on with a new candidate.

But he has been somewhat of a doddering dotard of late, with Thursday's performance being the latest example. He clearly looked awful compared to Macron at the D-Day ceremonies.

But we don't elect staffs. We elect the man/woman. He/she can't be a figurehead, like Reagan II or a post-stroke Woodrow Wilson.

maumann likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here's the difference, and it's not small:

Republicans may be craven, but it doesn't make any difference whether they support Trump or not. Trump's there because of the voters, not the party or the GOP folks in power.

Biden's support absolutely depends on the Democratic power structure. Jim Clyburn got Biden elected in 2020. So withholding that support actually means something.

8. Michael_ Gee

Alma, this is very perceptive, I think. The GOP power structure are followers. They go where the base points. The Democratic structure, possibly because it's a more heterogenous coalition, both represents and tries to influence its voters.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If Trump wins, Thomas and Alito resign, and the Federalist Society will have a 6-3 majority for generations. Think about that.
    Or better yet, for the love of god I don't want to think about it.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Michael_ Gee

Overnight ratings from the 44 largest markets were down 30 percent from 2020. Which makes sense. Summer reruns never do that well.

Cosmo, 2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted