1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Waiting for the Times to call on a convicted felon and instigator of an insurrection to abandon the election for the good of the country.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I stopped reading the NYT politics coverage a while ago, and I'm not going to return to it with a hot-take editorial.

But yeah, say he doesn't do as the own-fart-sniffing editorial board wants... they plan to endorse the insurrectionist, convicted felon? The worm guy?

It doesn't matter. Even a little bit. The aforementioned endorsement would mean as much as that editorial. Jack fucking squat.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He’s their boy. They’ll never quit him.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

From the ed:

If the race comes down to a choice between Mr. Trump and Mr. Biden, the sitting president would be this board’s unequivocal pick. That is how much of a danger Mr. Trump poses. But given that very danger, the stakes for the country and the uneven abilities of Mr. Biden, the United States needs a stronger opponent to the presumptive Republican nominee. To make a call for a new Democratic nominee this late in a campaign is a decision not taken lightly, but it reflects the scale and seriousness of Mr. Trump’s challenge to the values and institutions of this country and the inadequacy of Mr. Biden to confront him.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

From the ed:

It is a tragedy that Republicans themselves are not engaged in deeper soul-searching after Thursday’s debate. Mr. Trump’s own performance ought to be regarded as disqualifying.

gingerbread likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

That sounds like an intern wrote it. "Here's what we want..." but no next step.

Editorial masturbation.

gingerbread and HanSenSE like this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean it shouldn't, and shouldn't be seriously considered, and Biden swayed.

Biden tried, but his appearance, mannerisms and performance were shocking. There was no getting around it: He looked and acted like an unsure, doddering old man. He looked pasty, waxen and wide-eyed, sounded weak, unconvincing, and sadly, not up to the task, of either winning the debate, or winning the election, even if that was just a perception. And it was not. Like me, a lot of people have now gotten a current, close-up, disconcerting and kind of disturbing look at Biden, and where he seems to be at in life.

No one gained any confidence in him as a result of that debate, and a lot of people probably lost confidence. It's sad, because Biden deserves support, both as a good President who has actually done a better job than the media has allowed to be known and understood, and as a good and decent man who has always tried to do the right things and just naturally usually keeps the country and its welfare front and center in his mind and heart.

After last night, I kind of wish he would remind himself of that, and act on it, one more time.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Perhaps he is. Perhaps he, a Democratic politician with a career spanning over 50 years (true fact: the first election I was eligible to vote in I voted for Biden as Senator. He wasn't even old enough to serve on election day, only by when he was sworn in). Perhaps in his cold political calculation, he, issues and all, is still the best Democrat to beat Trump. And unless you think he should step aside for Harris (a defensible if IMO incorrect opinion), I trust his judgment more than yours.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Reminder: There were fewer days between Lincoln's assassination and Joe Biden's birthday than there are between Joe Biden's birthday and Joe Biden's inauguration day.

Liut and Driftwood like this.
  10. tapintoamerica

They’re engaging in the same bothsidesism that got us in this dilemma in the first place.
    Like every self-proclaimed libertarian intellectual, they need to shut up and quietly vote for Biden. The country is at stake.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

So apparently after the debate they went to a Waffle House.

Gutter and garrow like this.
  12. tapintoamerica

The same is nearly true for the other guy as well. But only Biden can be questioned.

garrow and Spartan Squad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted