1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't really want to be the wet blanket ... but that's desperately wishful thinking.

Liut and maumann like this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of the 50 million some people who watched the debate, I'd wager few votes were changed, because they were either committed Republicans or Democrats and no matter how they thought Biden did, the latter ain't voting for Trump. What's significant is how the two-thirds of the electorate who (wisely, IMO) did NOT watch, and will absorb the event in the same detached, muddled way they follow all the news. We don't know that and can't say, because it's just too soon. We'll know by about July 11 (Trump's sentencing date), by which time the news cycle will have spun at least a few times in other directions. Let's face it, one big hurricane, and Biden-Trump gets pushed way back in the cable news world and vanishes from local news altogether.

OscarMadison and Dog8Cats like this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because it’s nothing more than opinion and speculation.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Such is life.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That was half the COVID thread, and Rick Stain ranted about all the "mays" and "coulds" in every story.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

#TheCoupHasAlreadyHappened

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep. And it’s useless.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nobody watched the debate and said, "Hmm. That Trump sounds awesome." Or, "Joe Biden won over this MAGA clown."

But Joe Biden's popularity was already in the toilet, and I will bet with absolute certainty that there are some people who might have voted for him if something was going to get them out to vote. ... but are less inclined to vote after that shit show.

That showing cost Biden because he needs every single Biden person to head out and vote in November to have a chance to win, and after that, a lot of people won't. It didn't cost Trump. The people who were going to vote for Trump will still be out to vote for him.

There are two possible mitigating factors for Biden: 1) we are an eternity away from the election so there is still time for him to change the senile and slow narrative about him. The problem with that hopium is that the debate was supposed to change that narrative. ... and . ... 2) There is still plenty of time for Trump to do something terrible, or for a negative development to emerge in his legal troubles, that shifts the focus away from Joe Biden.

misterbc and maumann like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

You say there's no point in votin'
    So we gotta look at the gun your totin'
    And that inflation is hurting the money you been savin'
    Hey what kind of flag is it you're wavin'

But you tell me
    Over and over and over again, my friend
    How you don't believe
    We're on the eve of destruction

Believe me when I say the orange devil's out there waiting
    But we just stand here wasting our time debating
    When they can't tell the truth, they ain't got empathy
    They don't want a future with you and me

But you tell me
    How you don't believe

And think of all the hate in Orban's Hungary
    Then take a look at a MAGA rally
    Ah you may you leave here for four days in space
    But when you return, it's the same old place
    The poundin' of the chests, the lies and disgrace
    You can bury COVID dead, but don't leave a trace
    And DEI is bad for every race

And you tell me
    How you don't believe

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great post, STG. As someone who used to enjoy the small-town barber shop conversations when I lived in northern Michigan -- even when they were about ice fishing -- you are right about barber shops being a unique environment where local dudes solve the world's problems, including how to run the local high school sports teams better than the idiot coaches.

I had an experience like yours -- I remember it to this day -- in 2000 at a Cadillac, Mich., barber shop. Amid the usual banter I heard the barber and a customer talking about dolphins and miracles at sea, and I was like ... WTF? Later I read about Elian Gonzalez and I realized these gentlemen were already, 24 years ago, watching Fox News.

As a rule I try to stick to sports, complaints about local streets/issues and entertainment news while sitting in the chair.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I had to stop going to a guy I really liked after Trump got elected. He had Fox on all the time. Never got into politics much with him, but just didn’t want any part of it. I really want to find another classic barber, but I’m too introverted to stray from the comfortable and I got comfortable at Super Cuts. They do fine but I like bullshitting more than traditional small talk. Although I got one stylist who went deep into music and that was fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted