1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The discussion when I was in the chair involved folks in town still being pissed at the high school baseball coach for their loss in the playoffs like five weeks earlier. Trailing 1-0 in seventh with two outs, he waved a kid home, then tried stopping him, kid stumbled, got tagged out, season over.

And also talking about the idiot engineers who designed a change to the highway but didn't fix the flooding problem. That led me to say, "Before any project gets done in this county, engineers and architects need to come to the shop and present it to this crew of experts here to make sure it passes muster."

"Yes!" one of the guys said. "Department of common sense."

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

SHE is owed nothing. But Black women are the most loyal constituency in the party and the most reliable in turnout. They stay home and the Democrats are f***ed. Of course I've seen no evidence that they're necessarily all-in on Kamala herself -- their concerns go well beyond identity politics.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

People here may think replacing Kamala on the ticket with a white woman named Gretchen is a viable option, but thank God no one in actual authority would ever do anything so stupid.

UNCGrad, Slacker, garrow and 5 others like this.
  4. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Then there's the other box he checks that Middle America very much doesn't like...

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yeah, the guy who's been in business here almost 50 years had his own daughter quit on him because he decided to become a MAGA. I think the county Republican Party headquarters is less fanatical than his shop now. I want to shop local but not at the demise of my mental health.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"There is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away."--Donald J. Belloq

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My favorite was hearing gripes about the city’s snow removal and how they could run things better. “I’m sure the city is taking applications,” I would think to myself — and should have said!

I should note that in those days, I covered the Cadillac city council for the local paper, so the barber and his customers always piled on with their city critiques.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

NYT: Why everything in barbershops is bad for Biden.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Much healthier for NYT reporters to visit than checking in with the old guys at the local diner!

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If I stop seeing the person who has cut my hair the last 20 years that means I got divorced.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I go to a hipster shop where most of the barbers are women, a beer is included if I want it, and I pay way too much.

I spent years searching for an old-fashioned barbershop that I liked, but invariably at some point either the barber got comfortable enough with me to start talking politics or race and completely misjudged my view on those things, or another customer went on an offensive rant without being checked.

Now I enjoy talking with my regular barber about the animals she keeps on her property, various adventures we've both had in life and what my kids are up to. It's pleasant and I have no worries that politics or some racist/homophobic/anti-trans or MAGA screed is gonna come along.

Draft saved Draft deleted