1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My usual barbers both retired about a decade ago. They were in their 80s and ran a traditional barber shop. I was usually was the youngest guy in there. They had one 13-inch TV that must have been from the 1970s - with rabbit ears on it. It got the local CBS station and that was it. They’d have it on all day with the volume off - except for TPIR and Jeopardy. It was awesome.

I can’t do the hipster places in town, so I’m stuck at SportsClips. It kind of stinks.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My old barber shop had a really weird setup, as it was bought by an Asian owner who brought in all Asian barbers, and one old white guy who carried over from the old ownership.

In the few years I went there, I never saw the old guy cut anyone’s hair besides other old white guys’. He didn’t interact with the other barbers at all.

I only ever sat in his chair once. And as soon as I did, he unleashed a racist rant that would make Trump blush. And it was mostly anti-Asian, completely within earshot of the other five barbers, who just ignored him and went about their business.

Apparently he did that all the time. Hence why only other white racists would use him.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My stylist Laurie is the best. Unfortunately, she works in Lexington and I'm on the Cape. She is also is super high demand by both men and women, so long story short, I have a 5 p.m. appointment next Tuesday. It'll be a long drive, but I also have to pick up some prescriptions (pharmacy is across the street from my PCP physician, finding one of those here is impossible). Oh, well, I only get like four or five haircuts a year. By the time it gets as long (in back, for sure not in front) as it did in college, time for another cut.
    PS: Since women are 90 percent of the salon's customers, there's no political discussion at all, and the TV is on daytime talk. It's very relaxing.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Wow. That Twitter burn was from somebody named AltNOAA, a veteran who is followed by the White House Chief of Staff, according to his bio. His other posts are gold.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I was wondering what the name was for that feeling of contentment and relaxation from things like haircuts and watching Bob Ross painting videos. Autonomous sensory meridian response. Now I'm hooked on ASMR videos (until I fall asleep).

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My hairline has recommended I go to this cool place called the Balding Clipper.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I grow a beard every November as a fundraiser at work. I schedule an appointment the first Saturday of December at an all female hipster shop to get it shaved off. I pay way too much, but you get two beers, no talking, and lots of rubbing. No tugging, though.

Inky_Wretch, franticscribe and Liut like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is the route I’ve taken the last two times, at a place that used to be a room in an elementary school of all things.

First time I went was the end of February and it was perfect. I was ready for a new look after decades of the same frat boy swoop. And she nailed it from the vague description I gave her. Talked me through everything she was doing and how to keep the look going forward.

I was looking forward to going back, but three months elapsed and I could not remember her name when making the online booking; nor did the shop answer its phone. So I got the luck of the draw again and it came up whammy. Stylist No. 2 listened to exactly zero percent of what I said and I came away with too-short hair everywhere except the sideburns (which she neglected to trim to the length I asked for) and my old part had not only returned but been severely reinforced.

Midway through I remembered the name of the first stylist. Now just have to grow back enough hair to give her something to work with.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I grew my hair out during the pandemic and now it’s down to the middle of my back.

I go to a place called Midlife Crises ‘R’ Us.

OscarMadison, Inky_Wretch and Hermes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted