1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Do politicians get appearance fees for being on the Sunday morning talk shows, or do they figure it translates to donations later?
    It's the same bunch of chuckleheads each week just rotating shows, and it's not because they are so eloquent or insightful.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm not in panic mode or need to be talked off a ledge, but I do think the Democrats need to seriously explore the possibilities of changing candidates.

Here's what I keep coming back to when I think about the part of the debate I watched last week. Most of us have had the experience of having a loved one - grandparent, parent, friend, etc. - who was getting up there in age. Someone you thought was doing OK, but you knew was getting closer to the day where some significant changes in their life were needed. You might only see them once every three or four months. During brief phone conversations, everything seems OK. But then one day you stop by for a visit and can't ignore: Everything is not OK. The time came faster than you expected, hoped, anticipated, whatever.

That's the feeling I had watching President Biden during the debate. That's real hard to shake and I think millions of Americans had that same pit in their stomach watching the debate.

Like I said when I turned it off: I'll vote for Biden because I prefer the octogenarian surrounded by competent people over the one surrounded by people who want to harm our nation. But I was never on the fence in this race and am an active voter. I don't know how that feeling plays out for people who are more indifferent, but I am worried and think that worry is valid. I want the party to at least explore contingencies. I also thought Biden should not have run for re-election a year or so ago and have wanted a viable Gen X or Millennial candidate since at least 2016. But I have supported Biden, think highly of him, respect the job he's done as president and still have concerns about what the next four years look like if he gets re-elected. Thursday night amplified those concerns greatly.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My definition of a hipster shop might differ from others. Here, they wear shirt and tie underneath a an apron. Some wear sleeve garters. Those with facial hair usually have handlebar mustaches. They actually use Dapper Dan and Brylcream. They all want to give you a fade and a line up on the beard. And charge $50 for it.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

This. And what all of us know from going through this or having gone through this — it doesn’t get better over time. I’m looking into his future and I’m seeing my father.

Trump also represents this, but he’s aging in the manner of Sophia Petrillo, with no filter, speaking solely from the id without a guardrail. Either way, the decline is irreversible.

And a difference between the parties is the fact that one is willing to confront the reality, while the other wants to use the husk of an aged man — and the cult he nurtured — as a vessel for its own greed and lust for power.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 12:16 PM
  5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

How would a Harris/Newsom ticket work?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Keep the black vote, get the young guy.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And this wanker could be the next veep.....and POTUS

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

And there's the disconnect.

Stuttering, not speaking well, etc. ≠ low mental acuity.

Opinion: What a doctor sees when Joe Biden hesitates

9. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It all comes down to winning. I’ll support the democrat. But I don’t think the professional or armchair pundits are taking into account just how cataclysmic changing candidates would be.

There won’t be agreement. It would be very, very ugly. And does it improve the chances of winning? I’ve seen nothing at this point to show me it’ll improve the odds of winning in. November.

Nevermind the fact there have been primaries and people have voted. It’s not easy to nullify those votes. Even in a largely uncontested primary.

You hope it was just a particularly shitty night and there will be reassuring examples in the coming months.

Maybe there will be hard evidence in the next week or two that Biden has lost support and he decides to step down. That would be the only way a change happens.

I haven’t seen that evidence thus far. The little nuggets I’ve seen (some polls, gah! And fundraising numbers). They indicate little or no change and in some cases a small positive move.

I don’ think that enough thought has been given to how baked in the numbers are. And how little one night might matter in the grand scheme of the things.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We're moving on from this non-topic now.

HanSenSE and Neutral Corner like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted