1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They've gotten a lot of experience at it. I'd have to question "Done it well".

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

How did it shake down when Ford took over? I recall Rockefeller eventually became VP. IIRC, Carl Albert was Speaker.
    Whew ...a long time ago
    EDIT: I somehow missed the answers up thread. Oops. Thanks to all.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess what bugs me is that TeamBiden thinks this is just a bumpy news cycle. You want to calm nerves? Sit down with the NYT for an extensive interview (Biden has kept them at bay for months), hit all the morning talk shows this week, provide the kind of access that a candidate with no concerns would provide. The "nothing to see here" game plan isn't working.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Others above have sort of outlined it.
    There is a defined line of succession, but the only way anyone gets automatic promotion is if every person above them gets knocked off at the same time.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No nomination of Kamala's for any position would be confirmed in congress. Unlike cabinet officers, there is no mechanism for appointing an "acting" VP.

Thus, Johnson as SOTH would stand next in line of succession if anything unfortunate happened to Kamala.
    Gulp.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 8:19 PM
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the problem is the leaser of Team Biden is in denial and it is impossible to convince him otherwise. I think that if Biden does leave it will take two more steps. First, the polls will have to look disastrous a couple weeks out. If that happens, and I think they will, the panicked Dems, who are now anonymous, will start to make public statements amd petitions will be sent. Then I think party leaders like Schumer and Jefferies will go to the White House for a heart to heart with Biden.

O also think that if the Democrats are going to defend Biden they should not send Pelosi and Clyburn, who are both two years older than Biden, to try to do accomplish the task.

maumann likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I'd say Harris was pretty effective. Took a cheap shot at Biden in a debate, parlayed that into a VP spot, and might well be president despite having zero appeal with primary voters.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 6:36 AM
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I think your line of thinking here might be worth trying to sway undecided voters. Take the gloves off, insult the intelligence of those who vote for Trump ("Why can't you see ... ?"), and drive home the point that if they vote for Trump, their ignorance will have reaped what they deserved.

"That tax cut you liked? Guess what tax brackets got a fuckton more tax relief than you? ... Biden stutters and talks slowly? Sure, he's on his back nine, but would you rather have him as your neighbor or a convicted felon, a guy who has leched after his own daughter, who has never worked an honest day in his life, etc., etc.? ... That whole form of government you were taught in school and for which your father or grandfather fought? This clown wants to subvert it." ... And so on.

The usual "We're for this, we're for that, we're the party of progress and inclusion" doesn't seem to register with the fence-sitters. Let's get into the gutter, drag the undecided with us, and let them know that if Biden loses, they're going to lose, too ... and the coming disaster will have their DNA all over it.

Slacker, garrow and Driftwood like this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

upload_2024-7-1_2-53-33.jpeg

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It is absolutely time for the Democrat Party to become better at politics. Part of that would be to start fighting. Not even fighting dirtier, although that might eventually be necessary. Just fight. Campaign. Find a Lincoln Project analog and let that group get in the mud. It’s time to get better at politics.

OscarMadison, SFIND, Slacker and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted