1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The way that's worded is sort of like, duuuuhhhhhh.
    The complete punted on the specific issue at hand. He isn't charged with breaking the law as an official act. He's charged with trying to overthrow the government.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd like to see how they split the hairs on this one. We spend the impeachments (plural remember) hearing, "if he's guilty, use the courts," and now that the courts are being used we hear, "use Congress." I'm guessing this court would have been fine with Nixon, arguing that "politics, shouldn't be criminalized."

3. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

This Court would decide that egging on the Jan. 6 hooligans was an official act — as long as it’s ordered by a GQP President. This Court would decide that having someone shot in the middle of Fifth Avenue per Presidential decree was an official act — if it were ordered by a GQP President.

If the Democrats win the White House and the Senate, pack the fucking court.

OscarMadison and Tarheel316 like this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Any Dem loss to Trump would be equally, apocalyptically horrible.

OscarMadison and matt_garth like this.
  5. DanOregon

I was talking about for Biden personally. RBG - bad. He would be seen as a total jackass. and the Dems just as bad thinking they could push him over the finish line.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  6. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

“A republic, if you can keep it.”

Nearly 250 years was a good run. But it’s dead. Thanks, SCOTUS. More pointedly, thanks, convoluted election system that allowed the second-place candidate to win twice since 2000.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You know what else should tell you something? Your own eyes and ears.
    No amount of spinning or whistling by the graveyard changes the fact that he was simply addled on Thursday night. And there's no reason to believe that's not going to continue to happen.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Damn right. The court must be packed if the Dems win. It is clearly a political body and should be treated as such.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump 2.0, like most sequels, will be far worse than the original and a money grab. Don't put it into production.

gingerbread and OscarMadison like this.
  10. DanOregon

It is truly ghastly what some of our institutions have done and became - all for Trump. Ugh. Does he have a single redeeming feature? Nope.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The olden days. He dropped out because there was a candidate the Democrats WANTED. And it wasn't him. He's never been anything more than a candidate the voters grudgingly settled for. When he was at his best and sharpest, he never won anything.

He will always have the occasional "good to go" moments, but they're becoming more rare and you honestly never know what state he's going to be in if you schedule him for anything. The morning shows could relieve concerns . . . or cement them.

Biden's performance Thursday made me think of that 62-7 Jaguars playoff win over the Dolphins. All I could think of was someone asking Shula, "you prepared one solid week for this event . . . and that's what you provided?"

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

This Trump immunity ruling is .... I mean. .... wow.

Do whatever you want President Biden. As long as it's couched as "an official act," you're good. Order the military to start rounding up Trumpists? That's fine - the President is the commander in chief, so it's an official act.

Apparently Nixon should have just used the CIA directly, because then it would be "an official act."

Draft saved Draft deleted