1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice those Palestine protests just all packed up and went home at 8:59 p.m. eastern time Thursday night? Crazy huh?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Biden Told Ally That He Is Weighing Whether to Continue in the Race

The president’s conversation is the first indication that he is seriously considering whether he can recover after a devastating performance on the debate stage in Atlanta on Thursday.

President Biden has told a key ally that he knows he may not be able to salvage his candidacy if he cannot convince the public in the coming days that he is up for the job after a disastrous debate performance last week.

The president, who the ally emphasized is still deeply in the fight for re-election, understands that his next few appearances heading into the holiday weekend — including an interview scheduled for Friday with George Stephanopoulos of ABC News and campaign stops in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — must go well.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's been a six days since the debate. I think this weekends stops will serve more as a "victory lap," allow him to go out on a high note. It's pretty clear how much he has been managed and protected.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There was a thought that I saw on X, I think, the night of the debate, basically saying that the DNC wanted that debate to happen in June to really test the waters with Biden to gauge his mental acuity and fitness well before the convention, knowing that the deeper he went into the summer, the harder it would be to try to replace him if necessary. Might be a bit of a conspiracy theory, but it does make a lot of sense. Had that debate occurred closer to Labor Day, hoo boy...

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Until you are replaced by automation.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

They wanted the early debate, because his popularity was so low and they were hoping they he'd contrast in a debate to an unhinged, felonious Trump, and it would jumpstart his campaign which was already showing no traction. They didn't want him to do that poorly and create a crisis in their party.

Cosmo likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I get that you are more "productive" thanks to technology, but that doesn't mean you are more skilled than the just-laid-off guy willing to do the job for less money.

You don't necessarily get higher wages from being productive. You get them by being "uniquely productive."

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Never met the man, but I have always heard that Andy Griffith was a whole lot closer to Face in the Crowd than he was to Mayberry.
    Sad.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Holy shit! :(

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Andy Griffith as . . . Donald Trump.

11. The Big Ragu

I know that whatever I post people are going to spin like tops saying "no."

But this is a bit like arguing about the laws of physics. it's not about productivity in and of itself, it's simply about a worker being as good as the income he or she generates. And generally, when someone is more productive they generate more income (as long as their productivity produces a product or service that others demand), which translates to more salary. It's not as complicated as people are now going to try to make it to try to argue otherwise.

As for "replaced by automation" (the post before yours), the world isn't static. Whenever technology has created disruption -- over hundreds of years of humanity -- yes it displaces people whose labor becomes obsolete in the short term and that can be devastating for an individual who feels like they are left behind, but the overall effect is that it frees people up to do jobs that we never would have conceived of before the new technologies advanced our lives. Rather than banging things in one nail at a time with a hammer, a machine can do it more quickly and efficiently and the human labor that was swinging the hammer can do something more advanced that makes people's lives more advanced, etc. etc.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

But to return to newspaper industry terms, even if the remaining workers in the newsroom (in theory) get higher wages amid the higher productivity of pagination systems, other workers are laid off and are now getting no wages. Not sure how that produces an overall wage gain for the economy.

EDIT: You were answering the question as I posted it.

Draft saved Draft deleted