1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

But what if they nominate Tester and that removes the Dem Senate majority?

MAGA Mike might explode on the dais.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Apparently, millions of idiots who continue to sing his praises, no matter how many criminal acts he commits, how much he lies or how many ignorant and horrible things he says.

And dozens of politicians with an "R" beside their name – whether it's because they're that desperate for the power trip and/or they or their families have been threatened.

gingerbread, WriteThinking and garrow like this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Of all the great political orators America has produced, none captured the present moment like Michael Ray Richardson.

“The ship be sinking.”

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The main reason is that the WWII generation is either dead or nearing 100 years old.

Twenty five years ago, somebody going out in public like this would have to pay for it.

Neutral Corner and WriteThinking like this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Biden had a major aneurysm in 1988 requiring brain surgery and keeping him in recovery for half the year.

I had a much less serious TIA (mini stroke) in 2004. I returned to pretty much normal activities within a month or two, but even today I can still tell differences, even if hardly anybody else can.

In the course of my recovery process, I asked the doctors if I was at elevated risk of recurrent strokes or other brain circulatory problems: basically they said ... yes.

I did lose weight, although not as much as they would have liked. My blood pressure was ok and my sodium levels weren't unusual.

They tested my levels in about everything, and they said, "you're doing pretty much everything feasible to minimize your risk, but with strokes and aneurysms, if you have one, you're essentially under elevated risk for life."

Which means any time Biden decided to step aside, he would have an utterly unassailable medical basis for the decision. It wouldn't require a totally incapacitating stroke. At his age and with his history, if he says, "I don't feel capable of fulfilling the demands of the job," that's reason enough.

gingerbread likes this.
  7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

There are only two viable paths forward.

Either Biden stays in and the Democrats hold their breath and hope that hammering a select few issues - abortion and healthcare, the Supreme Court, Trump's felony and the rule of law, et al - will get people to realize they're not just voting for a leader but the country's overall direction.

Or Biden decides not to run, says he will finish out his term, and he forcefully backs Harris and the party unites behind her. Harris at the top of the ticket provides continuity.

Harris picks Roy Cooper as her VP. He's term limited in North Carolina and his term ends in 2025. He provides executive experience and he's relatively popular despite dealing with a shit storm of challenges with a Republican supermajority state legislature. He's also not a threat to run in 2028 and he may only be interested in one term as VP. Newsom, Whitmer, Pritzker, Shapiro, and others become the leading edge of the surrogate battle. Many of them will be term limited in 2027, setting up a potential succession plan should Harris win.

The thought of anyone leaping Harris is a non-starter. The Veep is the only realistic option at this stage besides Biden.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m assuming Harris can access the Biden-Harris campaign’s $230 million in fundraising if Biden chooses not to run?

That alone makes her the only viable alternative.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I said in 2021 that the administration needed to raise Harris’s profile beyond that of the typical VP (because, let’s face it, Biden was old in 2021.) She needed to have her name on something — immigration, the economy, whatever — just in case something happened and she needed to become head of the party quickly or be at the top of the ticket in 2024. That did not happen, and it may prove to be a major tactical blunder.

(Full disclosure: I voted for Klobuchar in the 2020 primary, because I liked her no-nonsense, pragmatic style. Harris was my second choice.)

gingerbread, Kato and OscarMadison like this.
  10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who doesn't find Sarah Cooper funny? The first lip synch video was mildly amusing. Now the Youtube pundit crew is reviving her presence on that platform. Good for herthat she's getting some currency. I just watch her videos and think, "What am I missing?"

Deskgrunt50 and goalmouth like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Great idea w/ Cooper. A college classmate of mine worked for him when he was AG and she sang his praises. Plus he looks like (and has the name like that of) a wild west sheriff.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Biden was supposed to be the "only" person to be able to stop Trump.

Now he's the reason Trump will be with us until January 2029.

Draft saved Draft deleted