1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I have said the same thing multiple times about Biden showcasing Harris as a real partner like Obama did with him. Why that didn’t really happen, other than the 50-50 Senate situation, I don’t understand, and agree, for the situation we’re in now, it may be a blunder.

As for Klobuchar, I really suspect she was going to be the VP pick (she lasted longer in the race than Harris and was among the notable drop-outs before the SC primary, right?), but the George Floyd stuff happening in Minneapolis at that time and her history as a prosecutor in Minnesota marred her a bit at the time, as did a couple of unflattering stories about her and treatment of her staff. I don’t know if she’d be someone the Dems would be more comfortable with now or not. But it doesn’t matter, and she has risen up the Senate ranks and probably has a chance to be a significant committee chair (or ranking member) during the next and future Congresses.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If not, apparently Joe Biden can just sign it over anyway on his way out the door and call it an official act. For that matter, he could theoretically sign over a billion-dollar check straight from the Treasury and SCOTUS would have blessed it (although that would be a great way to hand Donald Trump 40 states).

More seriously, if he’s going to pass the torch to Kamala, he needs to resign and give her some kind of incumbency to stand on. The only thing harder than running for president is being one, and if he isn’t up to the former then he needs to step down, even before calculating any political benefits.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That’s the thing. It might not be that tough for Biden to drop out of the campaign. But giving up office and walking away before finishing out the term? That’s a very difficult thing to do.
    But it’s the only way this can work.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Newsom has missed his chance in terms of what makes him appealing: his age.
    By the time he'd ever get around to running, he'll just be another old guy.

5. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I’m at nationals with my volleyball club and I’m just getting around to reading (and responding) to this portion of the thread, but this is the whole point. Even if Biden is a doddering idiot, he still has a very good staff around him and things will be done correctly after he wins. Trump is an asshole, he can’t have any staff that he will let actually take the spotlight off him, and his vice president pick is not going to be anyone that will be allowed to do anything unless he’s dead.
    If Biden dies or is incapacitated, everything will still be fine. The scramble by trumps family to try to maintain the power if he dies, will be a disaster. (And contrast that with Bobby Kennedy after JFK).
    I haven’t tried to find a transcript any where yet, but I’m willing to bet that if everyone went off that, it would look like Biden slaughtered trump.
    What the hell is wrong with our country and our media? We are screwed.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

“How low can it sink?”

“Sky’s the limit.”

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Had the Senate convicted Trump in '21, wouldn't the GOP nominee be leading now against doddering ol' Joe, the cause of all life's problems?

8. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Dems have to get every single one of their leaders (especially Obama) out there pointing out that trump is full of shit. 100 percent full court press. We need tons of coverage about trump the lier, trump the evil dickhead, trump the narcisist.
    We need our leaders to get this about the issues again: abortion. Tax cuts for the wealthy. Infrastructure. Competency. The disaster trump will be for the entire world. This is the way we win.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can't help but think that Harris was only used for women's reproductive issues and representing the administration to non-white constituencies because Team Biden didn't want to make Biden look bad. Harris is charismatic, vibrant and energetic - three things Biden has in short supply. Rule One in the VP handbook, don't outshine the boss. Harris would have less of a problem with her potential veep. HAS to be a white guy who has been around. Tom Vilsack would fit the bill, "only" 73 - you're not going to win Iowa with him, but he was born in an orphanage in Pennsylvania. Former governor, maybe doesn't have foreign affairs cred, maybe Chris Van Hollen (Maryland is pretty safe).

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Only Kamala has access to the $125 million.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

People saying it would be "complicated" are kidding themselves. As long as Biden oks it.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Seems like some invading caravans are overdue for a southern border appearance.

BitterYoungMatador2 and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted