1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I went down the rabbit hole of Biden's confirmations and there's one vacancy that happened in late 2017 by a death that took until 2023 to fill. Stuff like that is ridiculous. Come to some agreement on whatever number of reasonable days from the vacancy that it needs to be filled and get it done. If you wanna play politics with it, then judges can resign when their political party is in control to assure the outcome.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It's almost as if the framers didn't want partisanship to play into the judicial branch.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The Eastern District of North Carolina, which has a population about four times that of Alaska, had a seat open from 2005 to 2019. George W. Bush nominated Jesse Helms' longtime attorney Thomas Farr twice, but the Senate never gave him a vote despite the GOP having control of the chamber both times he was nominated. Then Barack Obama nominated two different, highly qualified black women - the district has a large black population and had never had an African-American judge - but Sen. Richard Burr refused to return his blue slip on either one. Publicly he claimed it was over Obama failing to consult with him, even though he had. Supposedly there was some personal slight from their time in the Senate together that was the real reason.

Then Trump re-nominated Thomas Farr, but his involvement in voter suppression efforts against black people for Helms was bad enough that Sen. Tim Scott of SC publicly renounced him.

Finally in 2019 Trump nominated and got through the Senate law professor Richard Myers.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

After all, it’d be an official act.

Kato, Driftwood and garrow like this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think this is happening because nothing is happening. Like it was absolutely nuts to me that the reports yesterday were that Biden was openly telling governors that the solution to this was him sleeping more and not having as many late events. He had an absolutely awful debate performance - The "solution" to that, if there is one, is to double up your efforts on the campaign trail and to do as many interviews as you can. Instead, he's turtling more, which either suggests he can't do more, or he or his campaign staff are earning like an F- grade right now.

Admittedly though, I think I'm more bullish on Harris than others, provided that her strategy would be "attack Trump as much as humanely possible." Democrats have two pretty identifiable weaknesses to go at if they do pull the ripcord here - Trump is old as shit and will probably look much more like a doddering old fool in a direct comparison, and Harris is a woman, which would allow her to hammer the abortion issue much easier than Biden. And that's been a huge winner from an election standpoint ever since Roe v. Wade got overturned.

8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

If Biden needs more sleep/rest, then maybe it is time for him to drop out of the race but not resign the presidency. Maybe he ought to make a public announcement, admit his age and the stress of two full-time jobs of being president and running for president and say he wants to concentrate on finishing this term strong while passing the torch to Kamala. Then use the rest of the speech to tout all of the good of this term — I mean really focus on the accomplishments of jobs and infrastructure, etc., why they’re important and why they work. Make sure the speech writers don’t over-complicate it. Keep it smart, simple and in his voice. Also, don’t mention Donald Trump at all. Then, the next day, send Kamala out to hammer out the campaign and what’s at stake — continuing the Biden policies and protecting Democracy* and contrasting that with what Trump and his cronies are doing/will do.

* Shouldn’t the Dems have a common, in-your-face message about “Protecting Democracy” as prevalent as MAGA? How have they not done this?

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

This is what not voting blue will get you

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We’re getting the government we deserve.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I was torn between Harris and Buttigieg in 2020 before both dropped out and would be happy if she ends up replacing Biden at the top of the ticket.

I think I was overly concerned with her negatives, which really aren't that bad, when watching the debate and having that sinking feeling that a change needs to happen. Skipping over her is too problematic for one of the Democrats key constituencies (black women); it appears the Biden campaign's war chest can transfer to her, since they're on the campaign committee together, with far fewer legal issues; and she's a decent candidate in her own right.

The prosecutor vs. the criminal.

Draft saved Draft deleted