1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

You missed the point. It's not about Trump. Trump unfortunately, as unfair as it is, can get away with it. Because of the dynamics of his cult. That is the status of the race. That is what we're dealing with and wishing it was otherwise won't change that dynamic. Biden, unfortunately cannot get away with it. Especially with the polls where they are and with the impression he gave in that debate which is not going away on its own (I don't think it's going away at all -- we all saw it with our own eyes). If he can't campaign, he can't win. If he could campaign, he would be -- especially right now when he needs to change the narrative. If he can't both campaign and handle the rigors of the office simultaneously anymore, he should be finishing his term gracefully while someone else who can handle unscripted public appearances and doesn't need to be hidden away picks up the torch.

I have no idea what's disgraceful about my rant. But if that's how you feel, that's how you feel. He's going to lose and cost the Democrats a lot of downballot races as well when people stay home and a lot of people are going to get hurt as a result. I've never missed an election since I've been old enough to vote. And I would crawl over glass to vote for Biden and defeat Trump. But most of the country isn't me or other people posting in this forum.

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Fair enough. What about the other 16 or however many days since the debate (even giving him credit for yesterday being a day to prep for the summit)?

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

On one hand, Trump won in 2016 in a black swan event -- winning three crucial states by about 13,000 total votes while losing the popular vote by millions -- running against a candidate with decades of negative baggage (even if a lot of the negativity surrounding her was rooted in misogyny). And Democrats made important gains in the 2018 midterms, turned his ass out in 2020 and significantly overshot expectations in 2022. And I doubt Trump has gained many new voters since 2020

On the other hand, there's a lot of evidence that he's made big inroads with Black men and with Latino voters (who the Democrats have always treated as a monolith, taking them for granted without seeming to have a sense that there are many different ethnicities and cultures within that broad category. The results in the Rio Grande Valley in 2020, for example, illustrate that). And he may be making inroads with younger voters, particularly young males. My concerns aren't millions of new Trump voters.

Still, my concern is that people who don't like Trump nonetheless won't feel all that motivated to go and show up and vote against him this time. Women's right/Roe, LGBTQ issues, voting rights -- whatever the issues, people need to feel confident in the alternative to have that motivation there. And without someone at the top of the ticket who can hammer all this home and convince them he's the one to do something about it, I don't see that happening. Joe wasn't capable of raising any of that in a meaningful way in the debate and he hasn't been in a setting one single time since where he can deliver a strong message about any of those issues. Blame his handlers all you want, but at the end of the day, it's the candidate.

I hope I'm wrong and you're right. Im saying shit people don't want to hear. But I'm having a hard time seeing any of this another way (and I think Kamala Harris is very underrated).

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'll admit when I'm wrong. I thought the debate would be a blip and would go away, considering the attention span of the American public. I also agree with others who say he's done nothing to convince me that he's fit for four more years of this job in the last two weeks with his public appearances and interviews. I'm still going to vote for whoever tops the D ticket, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have serious doubts about where this is ultimately headed. At the very least, Harris needs to be more in the public eye, if only to reassure voters that she is indeed serious people, should Biden need to step down or God forbid dies in office.

We've had this daily anxiety for eight fucking years now. So goddamn tired of it.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The democratic party really is the Washington Generals. How was there no four-year plan in place the minute Biden took office?

Dyno, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Old man, look at my life
    I'm a lot like you were
    Old man, look at my life
    I'm a lot like you were
    Old man, look at my life

'24 and MAGA wants more
    Live alone in a paradise
    That makes me think of coup
    We lost, such a cost
    Give me lines that don't get crossed
    Like a coin that won't get tossed
    Rolling home to blue

Old man, take a look at my life, I'm a lot like you
    I need someone to love me the whole day through
    Ah, one look in my eyes and you can tell that's true

Dumb rallies, same old lies
    Run around the same old town
    Doesn't mean that much to me
    To mean that much to you
    I've been first and last
    Look at how the time goes past
    But I'm all alone at last
    Rolling home to blue

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Because the President "is" the Democratic Party for all intents and purposes. Why grease your own skids? Same reason Pelosi surrounded herself with Hoyer and Clyburn as lead Dem in the House. So that you can say = "if not me? who?" (missing the point that it is your JOB to prepare future leaders of the party, instead they abandon that responsibility and use it as insurance.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Agree with The Big Ragu on this.

The Democrats lost this when they continued to back Biden's bid for a second term. He did his job in beating Trump and that should have been enough.
    Most people didn't want him to run again. He's not a popular president, especially in a key demographic - young voters. They are not happy about how he's handled the Israel Palestinian conflict and some other things.

But it's not like Harris is a superior choice because her approval ranking is as bad or worse than Biden. There are no good third-party candidates that can win.

The Republicans may not like Trump but they know he's their best shot at winning, so they put up with his lies and nonsense.

The one candidate who would destroy Trump, Michelle Obama, doesn't want anything to do with running.

I'd still try everything possible to make her the choice, then have her step down shortly after the election and have Harris take over.

She won't do it out of respect for Biden, et al.
    But the election is about winning, and that's something the Democrats don't seem too interested in doing.

I'm afraid Trump will win, especially given the Democrats' continued waffling and dissension among the ranks.

But this isn't even his fault, it's America's fault for forcing us to choose between two bad candidates.

maumann likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Now that would make a helluva debate question. “Donald Trump nearly got his last vice president lynched. How can you be confident the same thing won’t happen to you?”

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted