1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You assume someone can just call a county to get it. As you personally know, not all citizens are born here.

You assume they will require a piece of paper and not something with a photo. You assume what we’ll be asked will be as simple as get one document and you’re done. You assume it won’t be get a birth certificate, which may or may not be from this country and may or may not have been damaged and may or may not have been “misfiled” because the hospital serves people of a certain color. You assume they won’t then need to take documents to then get photo ID at a very specific place that requires transportation that the person may or may not have access to. And then you assume they can afford these documents.

I got a “real ID” as my diver’s license so I can fly without my passport. It was a pain in the ass to get. I had to prove citizenship and residency to get it. It required appointments and documents and I had to redo it because they forgot to ask for something. And you’ve gotten a passport. That is a pain in the ass too.

You assume the government is going to streamline this. There’s plenty of ways to ratfuck this. And if voter ID laws in the South prove anything, there’s going to be eligible voters who will be unable to vote because “a call to the county” was not that easy.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They have been doing this as the CPI prints have slowed. The problem is that it is mild disinflation, not deflation. The CPI has still been above 3.0 percent year over year, for more than a year's worth of prints. On top of it, the CPI is made up bullshit. Especially in the hands of this particular Bureau of Labor Statistics. They honestly would have people believe that health insurance costs have fallen by 19 percent since January 2021. They are absurd.

They will "tout" this loudly. ... and what people actually see? Food as a broad category costs 21.5 percent more today than it did January 2021 according to their numbers (which have likely underreported by quite a bit). Housing costs have surged -- the rate is finally slowing, but it's still at 5.2 percent for the year.

And worse, prices have risen much faster than incomes during that time. It is costing the typical American family about $4K in annual purchasing power (why people feel incredibly squeezed), while higher interest rates have inreased annual borrowing costs by about $3.5K a year on top of that. A lot of people are really struggling.

Good luck touting all the good news. Aside from CPI data being complete made-up bullshit. ... Even in a vaccuum, core CPI at 3.3 percent year over year = prices rising on essential goods and services at a pretty fast clip.

The only real good news in there is that the Fed, which has kept financial conditions insanely loose to counteract the rate increae, because we'd see bank failures and a credit crisis if they actually were serious about the inflation they stoked in the first place, is looking for any rationale to cut rates. They want to go soon, if possible. So maybe we'll get some "Hey, look at my 401(K)" posts out of it from the eurphoria that is already causing.

Meanwhile, the "touters" won't understand why people living paycheck to paycheck don't understand how great they have it.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Biden
    Loses,
    Trump

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Biden's struggles mean Big Media's cosseting of Hair Shitler will only continue to worsen as they hedge against his possible win in November.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Any possibility that some in the media are trying to force Biden out specifically because they are scared shitless of a Trump win and don’t see Uncle Joe able to stem the tide?

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Big Ragu's logo-dancing is adorable.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Nope. I see a bunch of deregulation media company owners who see a guy who will be favorable to them. The actual reporters who may be hurt by this administration? LOL Eff em.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And turning on CNN for the first time in a couple of weeks, I thought I was watching pre-shot clock college basketball, the full court press on this is so crazy. Thank goodness I have appointments in the afternoon and there will be baseball on the radio.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Will someone be waiting at my mailbox when I send in my vote-by-mail? "Your papers please."

10. The Big Ragu

CNN (and the WaPo) reflects what is going on in D.C. right now. The level of panic among Democrats. ... and what reporters are hearing from the politicians they are talking to (most of whom are not saying publicly what they are saying privately, because we don't exactly get profiles in courage nowadays).

CNN isn't creating the reality. It's reflecting it.

OscarMadison and dixiehack like this.
  11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's interesting. Despite being older than dirt, this is the first time I've really grasped the concept of a "stalking horse."

Harris and Newsom can't challenge Biden right now because - if they fail - that probably guarantees a Trump and an end to their ambitions. So they need somebody with enough of a name to damage the president enough so they can step in. (But not somebody big enough to get the nod.) So, basic stuff, but there you go.

12. The Big Ragu

Kamala Harris' position is kind of fun to watch. On the one hand, she has to be loyal to Biden. On the other hand, she's pissed to high hell that Newsom's and Whitmer's names have been floated above hers.

Draft saved Draft deleted