1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

but but but TEH POLEZ!!!!!!!!1!!

Despite hundreds of articles in The New York Times and countless others throughout the media, and eight House Democratic lawmakers declaring Joe Biden should end his re-election campaign, the President’s performance at the June 27 debate has had “almost no impact” on voters’ preferences, a new Northeastern University study finds.

“Led by David Lazer, university distinguished professor of political science and computer science at Northeastern, the report indicates that the debate had little if any impact on people’s voting preference. Lazer hopes the report helps illustrate the dangers of making a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to the media interpreting data,” reports Northeastern Global News, which is published by the University.“

Even the New York Times, which is usually better about this, talked about a very tiny shift that was totally insignificant statistically like it was evidence that it was a shift toward Trump after the debate,” Lazer says. “My hope is that reporters look at this and say, ‘Maybe we need to be careful in overinterpreting noise as actual signal.’”

Professor Lazar said, “the net result is not a movement away from Biden.”​

‘No Change’: Report finds Biden debate performance had ‘almost no impact’ on 2024 race

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I guess I’d have to be naive to think there are no illegal immigrants voting but if it’s really a huge problem where are the millions of registered voters who showed up at the polls only to find someone claiming to be them already voted?

Another claim I keep hearing is that when they move to certain states it changes Congressional representation so they can affect elections even without voting.

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work that way.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Moreover, as states have cut their budgets a lot of rural folks don't have easy access. For example, our DMV has two offices here (city of nearly 100k), one office in a suburb about 10 minutes south of town. If you live in a town along the southern edge of the county, you've got a 30 minute drive to the nearest DMV.

Spartan Squad and Smallpotatoes like this.
  4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Welp, depending on whom and what you believe, consideration may be happening:

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

So the past two weeks has been just as stupid as my downstairs neighbors leaving the windows in their car open for the sixth time in the past month last night while we got hit with a torrential downpour?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Emerson poll earlier this week had Trump up six on Harris. ABC/WaPo has Harris up two.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Which is why all polls are best ignored.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Polls on hypotheticals are bound to be all over the place. Should Harris take over Biden's spot, it'll take until probably Halloween for voters to suss out all the new information they'll get. That could work well for her. Or not.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, back at Traitor Ranch.....

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If she had not been re-elected we might have seen that happen. Well, you might.

11. Neutral Corner

Depends on what hoops your state declares necessary to vote by mail. They'd already made it difficult in Alabama before the last presidential election, lord knows what they've gotten up to since.

12. Neutral Corner

Tell you what. You find me articles or stats on a significant number of illegals voting in a Federal election and we can talk. Until then, the "I'm just asking questions" is bullshit, wherever it comes from.

As to moving, unless I'm misinformed, that comes into play after a census count, right?

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted