1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ford wasn't hit. Nobody gave a damn except when it turned out one of his attackers was a Manson Family member,which became more ammunition in the national quest to stamp out hippies.

Even today a substantial segment of Fatfuck's base is old fogeys trying yet again to relitigate the Sixties.

One of the closest parallels is the 1972 attempt on George Wallace by Arthur Bremer. The attack left Wallace paralyzed and ended his run for the presidency (which he wasn't going to win, but he would have complicated the mix.)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2024
    OscarMadison and exmediahack like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

MAGA
    MADMAN
    SHOOTS
    TRUMP

IMG_9856.jpeg

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm still not buying the story as told.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I’m still not buying he had Covid.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I don’t wish to live in a country where all sides instantly jump to conspiracy over the most likely explanation.

The internet has rotted all our brains.

The most divisive political figure in modern American history had shots fired at him during a time of deep political turmoil and over the top rhetoric. We’ve been only a whisper from political assassination as the next logical tool of fringe elements since the early 2000s. There was a fantasy book written about Bush. Obama was a black man challenging every racist’s notion of what our country was. Hillary Clinton had chants of “Lock Her Up” leveled at her. Trump and Biden have been called traitors to their country. The right believes government —- government — to be self-evidentially evil. The left invented the modern conspiracy movement.

I don’t need conspiracy. I have all tbe logical evidence needed.

I believe Trump to be a scourge. But he was just the last form of a system we created and a society unable to keep pace with the changes forced on us by the internet.

Frankly, let me off the ride. I want off.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The shooter was a young man with as of now no discernible political motive. This fits the profile of about 99 percent of the mass shooters in this country. It's possible right now police are finding a diary with this guy's own special brand of conspiracy theory in it. It's also possible he was just another doomed maniac wrapped way too tight yet not tethered to reality. The only three things I do know are these. This was the worst security fuckup by the Secret Service since Dallas. If we allow anyone to possess military quality firearms, some of them will shoot a lot of people. And I personally am glad beyond measure Trump is OK. As bad as President Trump 2 would be for the country, Permanent Martyr Trump would be 1000 times worse.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Perhaps, my friend. I dunno. Republican fist pumping (like Hawley) never sits right with the non-cultist. In this case, it seemed more reminiscent of Tony Montana.

If this terrible event alome makes someone vote for Trump, well they were never gonna vote blue.

8. Songbird

20 years old is about when serious mental illness takes flight.

MAGA will say that even though he was one of them (well, registered Republican but right now that's one in the same) that he was just a crazy boy ... while still defending guns.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Whit Johnson on ABC made his career last night. He was superb.

They couldn’t get David Muir in? Was he on coming off a long night in Ibiza? For a guy who cannot be outworked, how did he not make it in for the first US presidential assassination attempt in 43 years? Same for Norah on CBS.

Lester got in fairly quickly on NBC.

maumann likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Lincoln was killed as part of a conspiracy. As was the Archduke. Julius Caesar.

Political violence and presidential assassination long predate social media.

Is technology an accelerant to human nature? Maybe.

Among Trump's cult, he'll ascend now to the status of a god.

Among his opponents, he'll remain largely as he has been.

What's unknown is how this changes the minds of the undecided, the weak and fearful middle.

OscarMadison and Hermes like this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Does this indicate that you no longer believe this was a complete hoax?

12. Songbird

In one week we've gone from an Army of Dems trying to kill off Biden to a MAGA maniac trying to kill off Trump.

But to answer your question, it could be a hoax. It could be 12 other things.

Did we confirm if Trump was able to get his shoes before being whisked off stage, first stopping to give the crowd some rock star fist pumps?

Draft saved Draft deleted