1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Of course not. A doctor would have to say Trump was hit by glass, thereby contradicting his lie that he survived a bullet.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Thanks for giving me the best laugh I've had in a week.
    And you're right.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And those undecideds will probably regret bringing that monster back. Not that they'll ever admit it, of course.

TowelWaver likes this.
  4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I was at a wedding in the middle of nowhere and just heard about this now. That's how much I care about any of it anymore.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Random thoughts:

I keep zooming in on several of the photos and if that bullet nicked Trump, it has to be by no more than the top layer of his epidermis. Perhaps the upper left edge of his right ear. The fact that nobody seemed to be concerned about putting pressure on the wound -- or any medical reports describing the procedures needed to stitch it up -- means he's the luckiest SOB on the planet. A fraction of an inch from serious or even mortal injury.

I was reminded of a famous quote attribued to Lord Halifax when a British agent had a clear opportunity to shoot Hitler in 1939, "We have not reached that stage ... when we have to use assassination as a substitute for diplomacy."

With the exception of Bush in 2000, last night continues that freakish streak of assassination attempts or premature deaths of presidents elected in 20-year cycles, the Curse of Tippecanoe.

Finally, I hope history doesn't record July 13, 2024 as the beginning of the end of the American Experiment. I know that's extreme hyperbole -- especially considering where we were in 1860 and 1968 -- but this entire election feels ominous. As Will Durant put it, “A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within." I'm concerned that we're so fractured as a country that nothing can mend the complete distrust sown by public figures placing their own agendas ahead of the country.

J.D. Vance calling for the arrest of Biden is only the most recent egregious example of people saying the stupid part out loud. The rise of social media only makes the ridiculous seem commonplace.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Very well said maumann.

maumann likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And amid all that distrust, tens of millions of Americans have absolute, unshakeable trust in a serial liar, rapist, conman, traitor, thief. It is beyond sickening.

OscarMadison and TowelWaver like this.
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

maybe they will see their 401k account and think maybe four more years of that increase looks pretty good

SFIND likes this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes don’t know what you are talking about when it comes to bleeding on command to sell a piece of work to rubes.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Why would it be yesterday, and not the days in January 2021 when a sitting president tried to overturn the results of a fairly contested election?

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Minor point of order: Trump was not elected in 2020. The 20-year thing would apply to Biden.

SFIND, maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I was in Portland the past two days visiting one of my best friends that I’ve known since childhood who was in town from Chicago for the weekend.

A successful executive with a large construction company, he’s no radical leftist and with his anti-union views, would have been considered a classic Republican in the pre-MAGA days.

But as we waited for our wives, he briefly mentioned politics, his disgust with Trump even being a candidate again, and said, “I really don’t know where we’ll be six months from now.”

This was in the afternoon, before Trump was shot at.

Today we’re both trading texts wondering where we’ll be six days from now.

Slacker, maumann and Kato like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted