1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Mine doesn’t. They raised a generation of selfish brats that won’t go away.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Eh, they bitched about gasoline rationing. :)

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That generation is about 23 people away from being extinct.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I mean, not much to add other than not surprised. That outpost has been a clown show debacle for going on 20-plus years.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That was what I was thinking.

Who, upon realizing that they've just lived through an assassination attempt, in which they literally were close and aware and uninjured enough to realize that bullets had just whizzed past, within an inch of their life (literally), the first thing they do is get up and yell, "Fight, fight, fight, fight!" and pumps their fist in the air????

Trump truly is a madman, not normal, and apparently has no chance of ever being or becoming more normal. (Yes, I'm referencing my earlier suggestion/hope/ideal that he, perhaps, might actually be a little frightened/humbled by what happened...but no).

Tarheel316 and HanSenSE like this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Exactly like it was planned.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

OK, serious question about this.

It's easy to say yes to free speech and freedom of expression, etc., and to believe in and defend them when you're just talking about them and thinking about them, and wanting to be "fair" and allow people their rights.

But should this kind of stuff be allowed, really? Truly out there, for all to see, experience and possibly be influenced/turned by? Frightening and intimidating people, intentionally, thus espousing terrible, ugly views, and spreading wildly wrong, ugly disinformation about one of the worst, most studied and validated chapters in human/world history ("The Holocaust didn't happen!") and thus promoting violence to the point of possibly actually inciting it?

Is that really claiming and enacting legitimate, inalienable rights? Or something else?

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

While I agree, we should not allow this in the US, It has to be from societal pressure, not laws for one big reason.

We allow freedom of speech and expression not for the outliers, but for the marginalized. What I mean is while the laws frustratingly protect Nazis, they also stop guys like Trump from outlawing things like the NAACP or stopping Nikole Hannah-Jones (hi, Ragu) from publishing. It doesn’t take much for a group to suggest something is wildly offensive and hateful toward a race, even if it’s bullshit.

So we put up with the outliers to protect the things that could be pushed out because enough idiots get the levers of power.

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Trump's latest quotes are the Trumpiest of all Trump quotes.

“The doctor at the hospital said he never saw anything like this, he called it a miracle,” said Trump, who was sporting a loose, large white bandage that covered his right ear. His staff insisted that no photos be taken. “I’m not supposed to be here, I’m supposed to be dead,” Trump said. “I’m supposed to be dead.”

“A lot of people say it’s the most iconic photo they’ve ever seen,” Trump said. “They’re right and I didn’t die. Usually you have to die to have an iconic picture.”

“By luck or by God, many people are saying it’s by God I’m still here,” he said.

“A lot of places, especially soccer games, you hear a single shot, everybody runs. Here there were many shots and they stayed.”
    https://nypost.com/2024/07/14/us-ne...tion-attempt-at-rally-im-supposed-to-be-dead/

OscarMadison and Slacker like this.
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"I got tremendous ratings all weekend long.
    The best ever. Did you see them? Just tremendous."

"Everyone's talking about it. They come up to me and
    say, 'Sir ... ' They say, 'Sir, we've never seen anything like it.' "

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted