1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Still a little shocked by this.

I always warned my students exactly what to expect financially.

It's a calling.

Thus, like the priesthood, for most of us it's a vow of poverty.

maumann likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In my single days, I lived in a rent house with other media folks. The TV reporter who lived with us did a story in the late 1990s about how the maximum income you could earn and still qualify for food stamps was raised. He joked in his newsroom that he now qualified for them and was going to get them so he’d have more money for beer. His boss pulled him aside and threatened to fire him if he got them - because it would make the station look bad.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I’ve never met a single person who got out of newspapers and didn’t improve their situation. I look back on it now sometimes and wonder if I wasted nearly two decades of my life. I absolutely got to see and do some cool stuff, but at what cost to my family. Maybe I thought I was serving a greater good for the community, but that idea went away because I don’t know how many times years after I’d left that someone would see me and ask “you here for the paper?” “Uhhhhh, no.” Nobody cared.

maumann, SFIND, MileHigh and 4 others like this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No, it's not practice. It's the real game.

They obliterated Joe and Kamala last night with the Gold Star video (followed by the speeches on the stage) and the 90-year-old WWII veteran and the disgruntled Ivy League Orthodox Jew and Trump's granddaughter and even Don Fucking Jr. nailed his spiel. Vance, after his Nazi salute, was charming and articulate and weaved his hillbilly story well.

They owned it. Sometimes you have to tip your cap.

Regardless of Joe/Kamala or Kamala/??? ... the GOP likely won November last night, a perfect night after 2 incredibly well executed nights.

And tonight the MAGA King feeds 'em all the raw meat they're starving for.

Gonna be hard for the Dems to overcome this.

But I still do think Kamala/Perfect VP ... and I think change happens soon ... can right the ship and energize the party the way Obama did, and then some.

If Biden stays in, it's over and he gets slaughtered and Republicans take the House + Senate.

Maybe there will be a cool Taylor Swift vs. Hawk Tuah Girl battle along the way.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I was making $74,000 at Tribune Company in 2011 with five weeks vacation and great benefits. If there's something I could have landed after that that could have improved my situation, I never saw it.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's the Republican convention.

There's no opposing team on the field.

It's not even the Senior Day scrimmage.

It's practice.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Who's watching this outside of DC?

No-bah-dee. Literally not one person.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Democratic convention is slated to be senior day scrimmage, with a dog pile on the senior.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

But I thought that Mia Love and Dave Portnoy were going to be the GOP nominees in 2024?

TigerVols and garrow like this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I worked at a chain of about 20 publicans in Tenn/NC/Va.
    Our insurance was shit. It ate up about half of my pay every two weeks. It wasn’t with a known company. It was a self funded chain thing. I remember once when we were called into a staff meeting and were basically told nobody should go to the doctor for the rest of the year because there had been several claims from cancer and heart attacks that year, and the kitty was dry.
    I and others were maxed out at 3 weeks of vacation, but no one was ever actually allowed to take it “for the good of the paper.” I know at least twice I had requested off months in advance and had non refundable hotel reservations and tickets to something only to get told a day or two before “sorry, we need you to cover something.” When someone was off, it was a major hardship for everyone else. Paid for the vacation days you didn’t get to use? Ha!

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The idea of the Republicans controlling the presidency, House, Senate and Supreme Court all at the same time is truly scary.

Draft saved Draft deleted