1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

They would not have voted for Biden but at least they spoke about him with respect.
    Trumpism, as we know, has given people license to say the quiet part out loud. And it feels like I'm surrounded by the loudest of the loud.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I'm not caught up on the thread yet. I'll get there over drinks tonight. Until then, a few notes:

I tell you, my 21-year-old daughter was worried hearing the news today. But she's fired up about Kamala. So is her friend Bre. So is her friend Annika. So is her friend Carly.

My daughter has set a deadline in her phone for her NC absentee ballot. She's in college in NYC. Her friends mentioned above are all registered voters and have never participated in a poll.

I told my daughter, "If y'all show up, we win."

She's terrified of Project 2025. But, also, I'm pretty stoked she knew what Project 2025 is. And if she knows, her friends know.

Time to fight. I'm re-energized.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Congrats!

gingerbread, dixiehack and sgreenwell like this.
  4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

For sure. Or, the Democratic Party needed to not concern itself with Biden's feelings sooner, so as to give the party the possibility of an open primary in which other possible candidates could have been included, and possibly won the nomination legitimately.

I found out about Biden dropping out of the election while on lunch at work today via the break-room TV, walking in and going, "Whoa. Wow." Even though we all knew, or thought, it might happen, I was nonetheless shocked, and a bit saddened that it did. I don't know what's going to happen now, but what another associate said is valid, and concerning. That is, "This is a dumb move by the Democrats. If Hillary Clinton couldn't beat Donald Trump, what makes anybody think Kamala Harris will be able to do it?"

I don't have any problem with Harris being the nominee at this point. I would've preferred Gavin Newsom, and believe he might've gotten the nomination had this upheaval all occurred a couple/few months ago. But now, I only hope that, with the age-related concerns out of the way, perhaps the party, and many voters, will all truly rally around Harris -- enough to make her a legitimate possibility to win.

Because the Democrats still need to do so, which was the only reason, I'm almost certain, that Biden ran this time at all -- with the hope of, once again, stopping Donald Trump from filling the breach. If Harris, or whomever might've been the nominee earlier on besides Biden, cannot do that, then all of this is for naught.

Which enrages me toward the Republican Party, which allowed a known horrible candidate/convicted felon with no heart or soul, and who stole classified documents from the White House, to be running at all. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Shame on the Republican Party. This is all the Republicans' fault, and I hope they're happy with what they're doing to this country now. If the other party had a candidate that wasn't quite so despicable and detestable, perhaps people would be excited about this election instead of just feeling sick or like dying over it. It's disgusting.

matt_garth and SFIND like this.
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

All the polling that was done before today that was the reason this wasn't a slam dunk and many Democratic Party insiders were calling for her to step aside and for it to be someone else. Why was there chatter at all? She's the obvious choice and heir apparent?
    For the second time this election season, the Democrats have avoided giving their voters any say in their candidate. It blew up once and is almost certain to blow up again. You can laugh at Sorkin and fart and Manchin but he or Romney would have a far, far better chance at beating Trump than Harris would. Do you know anyone or can you imagine anyone who will vote for her that wasn't voting for Biden before the debate?

This is nonsense and counter productive. In 2016 the narrative was that if you don't vote for Hillary you're a misogynist, both believing it to be true and thinking it was a winning strategy. Only after she lost in unimaginable fashion and stuck us with 4 years of Trump, did her supporters acknowledge that there might have been other weaknesses in her candidacy.
    Now, 10 minutes into a Harris campaign, you're going back to that well. Were the Democratic primary voters in every state who all rejected her in favor of a deeply uninspiring field all a bunch of racist misogynists? What has she done with her interim 4 years in the spotlight to enhance her appeal as a candidate? But if you say it out loud your a bigot? When Trump wins again and people can speak freely we'll see the MMQBing that is obvious to anyone not biting their tongue now.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I've been working and just followed along here. No other social media. One of our finest days as a board.

OscarMadison, Deskgrunt50 and garrow like this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Kind of amazing that Trump is the only GOP nominee from the East coast since Thomas E. Dewey of New York in 1948.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Any chance Bernie jumps in? Or hid followers getting asshurt and staying home like in 2016?

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with Ragu and (apparently) you that taking the genpop’s economic uncertainty lightly is a mistake.
    I also agree that the zeitgeist was far different in 2020 due to Covid. BUT the SCOTUS hadn’t taken away a woman’s right to choose yet in 2020–and most competitive elections since then greatly underestimated the impact of that decision.
    We shall see. But like Ragu said earlier, Biden was a sure-fire loser.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

LBJ's home turf is about 40 miles west of McGovern's. Another of those geographical quirks.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's just them doing their usual. Biden didn't say he was unfit to run for office. He said he wasn't going to run for office. And he doesn't have to if he doesn't want to, whatever the reason(s).

Mike Johnson should realize this occurred because Biden knew he might not win -- an unacceptable possibility, as his only goal was to try to protect the U.S. from...the Republicans' despicable candidate who never should've been allowed to run, let alone have been nominated, for much more important, cogent reasons than because he was old -- although Trump is that, too.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted