1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not about "the media." People already know who Donald Trump is. And they already know they are unhappy under the current administration, which they blame for it becoming difficult to make ends meet.

It's about whatever will be weighing on people most (in the aggregate) in November. They will be choosing between two candidates that most of them find unpallatable for different reasons.

The competing forces (whether they rightfully should be thinking this way or not) will be: "Ugh, I don't know if I can take 4 more years of that immoral dick" vs. "Ugh, over four years with her as VP, it's gotten ridiculously hard for me to make ends meet. I don't want more of that."

If Donald Trump's behavior is particularly bad between now and November and he reverts to his worst instincts, more of those people might hold their noses and choose choice B. Just as, if there is some traumatic economic event between now and November that piles on to their anxiety, more of those people will likely hold their noses and vote for him.

What I was saying was that I don't htink either of them is going to win over too many people. They need the other to turn off more people than they do. This is an election of attrition, same as it was when Joe Biden was the candidate.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dave Wasserman has always struck me as a bright, even-handed guy who hasn’t fallen in love with his own brand the way Nate Silver did.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

But...but... how did this play with Catturd?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Castellanos homered on a drive to deep left field again.

Congratulations!

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How can voters be reminded of what a colossal dick he is without the media reporting what a colossal dick he is?

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, and about the "ridiculously hard for me to make ends meet" crowd - take some damn personal responsibility for your shitty finances.

I'm not talking about people on the lower end of the spectrum who were barely getting by as it was, but I see way too many dudes driving an $80,000 pickup (which never gets used as a pickup) while his wife is driving an $80k SUV, who spend every other weekend in hotels with little Jimmy's travel ball team and just spent a week in a condo at Orange Beach complaining about inflation and gas prices.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You are greatly underestimating the impact having a Black woman on the top of the ticket has on the Democrats most powerful demographic: Black women.

HanSenSE and SFIND like this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So ... the guy who can't stick to a subject, can't get his facts right, wanders on verbal tangents, allegedly shared underage lovers with Jeffrey Epstein, rageposts on social media at 2 a.m. like he's a dementia patient with sundowning issues, and WAS CONVICTED OF 34 FELONIES is somehow more viable now than he was before? You're delusional.

HanSenSE, Slacker and qtlaw like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

SFIND likes this.
  11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Yes, everyone already knows who Trump is, yet he still takes all of the oxygen out of the room.

One of Biden's problems was his attempt to return to normalcy, a return to pre-Trump when the president wasn't making news every single day, when the White House press briefing wasn't a made-for-TV event, when the media seemingly did a better job of covering administrative wins and successes and the public understood where things were getting better and where they weren't. So because the Biden team wasn't patting himself on the back every single day and telling people how good they have it right now under this administration (true or not), there was space for Trump and his surrogate media organizations to grab that space and tell people how bad they have it right now (true or not).

The attempt to go back to a somewhat slower and more civil time is noble, but that ship has sailed and Biden and many Dems simple don't communicate to the modern voter/American public like, really, Trump and only Trump does. I'm almost convinced that Biden would have stuck with one term if Trump was exiled from the GOP and there was someone else running, but since that didn't happen and Trump became the presumptive nominee again, he convinced himself that he was the only one who could beat him, since he did before.

The GOP and the overall media should have disqualified Trump long, long ago, like Jan. 7. They could have done to Trump what the Dems and media have done to Biden the last month. Maybe it wouldn't have worked, but it would have been better than allowing half the country to think that Jan. 6 was little more than a tour of the Capitol.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe. My instincts when it comes to politics are sometimes really off. The stupidity of the American public has dumbfounded me many times.

But I don't get how that powerful demographic translates to the election in some grand way. You are talking about less than 8 percent of the population, including children who can't vote. Of adult black women, many of them won't vote even with Kamala Harris on the ticket, and even though I am sure they skew heavily toward voting for any Democrat, they don't all vote in lockstep. No group does. We're individuals, not racial monoliths.

I just don't get how that has such a great impact on this election. I also think that as much as people on this thread focus on identity politics, people's pocketbooks influence their votes way more.

Draft saved Draft deleted