1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

JD Vance plays polo

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

What do you think Secret Service has nicknamed him? My money is on Lazy Boy.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

IIRC, previous presidents NEVER make an endorsement until a candidate is clear of opponents. Obama waited until Biden was in the clear before giving the endorsement in 2020, to the amusement of conservatives wondering why Obama didn't endorse his VP immediately.

If you don't do that, you risk someone else getting it but being branded with "the previous president didn't even endorse him/her" tag.

TowelWaver and maumann like this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[Flash forward to Jan. 6, 2021]

FOREGROUND: A guillotine outside the Capitol building…

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

His aides we speaking to reporters pretty regularly through the week. The initial message was he didn't want to put a thumb on the scale and would not endorse until after the convention in case a serious challenger emerged.

Once Harris cleared the field, it just became a matter of timing.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She has the nomination already. She locked it up within 24 hours of Biden leaving the race. I give her a ton of credit. She showed ruthless political instintcs to squealch any notion of anyone else.

My sense was that the question had shifted to, "Everyone is lining up behind her, why hasn't Obama?" And I'd guess he felt he had to do it now.

But maybe I have it all wrong. I just seriously doubt this has anything to do with how Obama feels about her (positive or negative) and everything about political calculations.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Ethan Fallen

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Kind of akin to wondering if Obama’s endorsement is the equivalent of a bullet, a fragment or some other debris.

Baron Scicluna and HanSenSE like this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Waaaaaay ahead of you, good sir. As unhinged as Mark Robinson ... and, for those paying attention, you know that's a mouthful.

Thanks for putting out the word.

franticscribe, Driftwood and garrow like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

JD Vance still wears Polo cologne.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Colbert opened with it last night and I started cheering.

couch fucker.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering how involved TeamObama has been in all of this - the PodBros, Axelrod etc. I fully concur with the idea that he was the "closer." If something "popped up" with regard to Harris, a rival dropping some serious oppo - (it wasn't just GOPers trashing her in the early days of the Biden administration) - Obama could come in as the grand unifier or whatever. It also fully cements Obama as the new king of the party. It isn't the Clinton's party anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted