1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I need to know where you’re getting your products. A cheeseburger has three main components: a bun, a slice of cheese and a patty of meat. I’m willing to concede there is no meat in a McDonald’s cheeseburger. So I’ll count that as $0. A bun, even in bulk, is at least a dime. But an ounce of cheese? That’s $.40 or so by itself, depending on the day. So, yeah, at least half a buck and that doesn’t include any condiments or whatever’s in the place of the meat.

Your point is well taken nonetheless.

Songbird likes this.
  2. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Prices are up, but not as much as assets. Anybody who has any kind of capital investment, including a home, has made out very well. My daughter and hub bought a house in 2018 and are elated at the market appreciation. Is it a bubble? Here in flyover country, probably not so much.

People assume that anybody under 40 has socked nothing away. But some 401k stats are interesting. Yeah, it's all paper at this point, and people are confronted more directly in the checkout lane. But still ...
    Here's how much money Americans have in their 401(k)s at every income level—see how you compare

Here's one by age. https://www.empower.com/the-currency/life/average-401k-balance-age#:~:text=Empower data shows that the,and 76% of Gen Xers.

When I was in my 20s, having 30 grand in my sock would have been unimaginable. Granted, $30k today is not $30k in 1980. I do think companies have made 401k accounts more accessible to younger people over the years. Those with foresight -- and discretionary income -- take advantage of that.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Starbucks changes CEOs, shares put on $20 BILLION in market cap.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Florida has pot and abortion on the ballot (finally), which could also knock down Trump.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2024
  6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

But isn't that basically Monopoly money? We're in the same boat. Up more than a quarter-mil in 8 years. But it's not money we can spend. And if we sold our house, all that equity would then become little more than 20 percent down on the next place, which would be at least four times what we paid for the current one. It's only good if you can sell and don't need to buy.

maumann likes this.
  7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Exactly that. I've had cold callers wanting to buy my condo. They never have an answer when I point out that the gains I make from selling will just go right to another house in this crazy market.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Home appreciation only means something if you're going to 1) leave it to someone or 2) sell it from an expensive area and move to a much cheaper area. Otherwise you're just selling an appreciated asset and then having to buy another appreciated asset.

Meanwhile, watch your property taxes rise with the appreciated value.

maumann likes this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This is mostly word salad and empty promises with no plans how any of it will get done. None of it was done when Trump was president, what changes this time?

[​IMG]

garrow and HanSenSE like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Better than Tudor's Biscuit World?

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Because he'll be more presidential this time!

It's like when they want to blame Biden for the price of groceries, gas, ect. He doesn't do that, the market does. And I thought the GQP liked the free market.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

There are pretty much no homes for sale within a 10 mile radius of me, here in the Inland Empire. When we bought ours last year, our Realtor told us the only people selling are either relocating or dead.
    We bought from a guy transferring to OKC for work.

Draft saved Draft deleted