1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"Economic Anxiety"
    [​IMG]

franticscribe and Driftwood like this.
  2. poindexter

You've repeated this bullshit strawman argument many times since July 21: Donald Trump is a liar and a terrible person and Harris/Biden still can't beat them convincingly. What is wrong with them?

There is literally no candidate in this shithole country who can oppose Trump, and win convincingly. Because some percentage near half of this country are shitheads, racists, homophobes and, in general, horrible people. And they worship Trump. There is no unicorn candidate who would soundly beat Trump. But you continue to use it as an insult against Harris. And it is bullshit.

3. poindexter

Perhaps you live in a bubble. During this past college basketball season you and one other poster were seemingly the last people in the country to realize that women's college basketball had become a thing. When in fact the playoffs got better ratings than the NBA Finals. I'm not too impressed by the people in your circle.

Attached Files:

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is no "more of the same, free this, free that candidate" who is going to do any better than what the Democrats keep putting up. People tune it out at this point. It's not 2006.

That is what a continual downslide in which real wages haven't kept up with people's expeses does. You end up with an expanding underclass of people working multiple gig jobs and falling behind as their rent and other costs skyrockets.

This is what gave rise to Donald Trump, and the last four years of prices greatly exceeding real wages is what gives him a chance this election despite the fact that he should be back under a rock somewhere by now. People don't associate their misery (yes, there is widespread economic anxiety in this country) with him because the effects of the monetary inflation really took off after he was gone.

If you see that reality as "bullshit," feel free to go back to the circle jerk I read every day on this thread. I'm cool with that.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Poindexter agenda for Wednesday
    • Wake up
    • Choose violence

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

yes

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dude, I like what you bring to the table. But there is no damn way in hell Trump's rise to the top of the GOP ticket was fueled by that. It might have been in the mix, but it wasn't powering the ship.

TowelWaver likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The mystery I have is why those in need continually overlook their economic interests and instead support simply racism and fake patriotism.

TowelWaver, Driftwood, garrow and 2 others like this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's interesting: Old Bay is not a constant in New England. Some places swear by it, other places swear at it.

I've had many many more clambakes and lobster boils up here without it.

As a Maryland thing, Old Bay application is hit or miss until you get a ways south of NYC.

10. poindexter

I completely reject your theory that Trump's rise is from "economic anxiety". I should have asked the shithead in the pick up truck in Laughlin Nevada whose flag read "I'M VOTING FOR THE CONVICTED FELON". My brother and sister in law voting for his "Christian Values" ie abortion. My brother who is worried about immigrants. Is Elon Musk worried about real wages?

Driftwood and tapintoamerica like this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Somewhere around the Chattahoochee River marks the transition zone from Old Bay to Tony Chachere’s.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Trump is not winning a national election on the Morton Downey Jr. crowd. They are a scary proprotion of the people in this country. They also aren't new. Without the discontent -- more and more people on the middle to lower end of the spectrum falling behind financially over the last couple of decades -- he'd have stayed a joke. Instead, enough people who aren't at his rallies or putting stupid bumper stickers on their cars actually looked at two choices that made them want to puke. ... and chose him.

That is what happened in 2016, it came way closer to happening than should be comprehensible in 2020, and it is exactly how this election is playing out with Kamala Harris right now as the other choice. What makes her perhaps an even shittier candidate is that people have the hindsight of Donald Trump over the last 8, 9 years in their memories and it's STILL close.

Draft saved Draft deleted