1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

I'm sorry but anyone who says economic conditions gave rise Donald Trump is full of shit -- plain and simple. A black man pulled the nation out of an economic abyss and you just can't have that happen. Trump rode birtherism to prominence, preached isololationism, promoted otherism, fanned the fear of immigration and painted a false picture of crime and lawlessness in America. What, pray tell, did he do for those in the middle and lower economic classes?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not "the economy." It's "our bank account has nothing in it, I needed to get a second job, we are over our heads in debt and we might not be able make rent this month." Most people don't think in the macro, big-picture way you are framing this. They don't even know what "the economy" is. They know their lives. And I am talking about people who have a kid who is homeless and strung out on fentanyl. The number of people who feel like they are moving backward in terms of their finances, their standards of living, how much they need to struggle to get by, etc. ... is rising, has risen so that maybe those kinds of people were 2 out of every 10 two decades ago, now they are 3 out of 10, maybe 4. These are the people who almost always voted for the Obama / Clinton / Biden / Harris politicians, but have drifted away. What I am saying cuts both ways. We have two parties. If the other party could come up with something that is merely reasonable sounding, they'd trounce Kamala Harris and the same old, same old she is going to sound like (when people get to know her) in an election. Instead, we have two really terrible candidates and one of them is going to win by attrition.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

IsoLOLationism

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh there’s a greater force making those people’s lives hell all right. But it ain’t one you want to hear about Daddy Warbucks.

Driftwood likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is age old stuff. ... The isolationism, immigration, "we need tariffs," etc. nonsense always resonates with people who feel financially insecure.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thanks to this thread, during lunch I went to the local seafood market and picked up some shrimp. We're having shrimp and grits for dinner tonight.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Maneuvered to have many thousands of them die due to his incompetent administration of the COVID crisis, and many thousands more die due to his entirely intentional obstruction, diversion and seizure of resources, equipment and funding away from state or local groups or governments he felt were insufficiently subservient to his rule or failed to publicly suck him off for media consumption to the degree he felt adequate.

Genocide. Flat out.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So they'll be less racist, less hateful toward The Other, if gas is $1.99 per gallon?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In light of every grits-for-brains post on this thread, I second the return to grits.

Or, to Grits.

24753682_120348379802.jpg

Liut, 2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Useful meal; can be breakfast, dinner or supper. And probably lunch, too.

swingline and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted