1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This continues to amaze me. Release the War Plan as a hardcover book, and have the VP nominee write the introduction? Brass balls and no sense of strategy whatsoever. I bet we don't see that one again soon.

TowelWaver and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Helluva thread from Josh Marshall.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I like the desperate candor here ...

"The damage Trump is doing to himself is playing out in private conversations like this: 'We have a really good shot at taking the Senate. Manchin leaving gets us to 50. Tester is toast. That's 51. Between that and the Supreme Court, we can hold off Harris for two years and get more reinforcements then fight in 2028 for the White House. If Trump gets in, we set back the pro-life cause and free markets by a generation at least,'" Erickson revealed. "You can say that is crazy talk. But that crazy talk is happening more and more."

Erickson added that Trump still had the opportunity to right the ship, but that he needed to stop alienating traditional conservatives if he wanted to have any chance of turning things around.

"Trump, with Vance as his pick, hurt himself with the economic wing of the GOP," Erickson writes. "His Florida and IVF remarks hurt him with the pro-life wing. He was already hurt with the natsec wing. He's cutting off all three legs of the stool at the same time hoping 'But Harris' saves him. He's got real damage control to do. No amount of bullying 'but you're helping Harris' is going to fix this. Only Trump pivoting can."

In a separate post, he added, "Sometimes, good stewardship
    means letting the field lie fallow for a greater harvest later."

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They figured they'd be running against Sleepy Joe and they could high-step the last 50 yards into the end zone, and the only response they needed to accusations they would implement Project 2025 was, "Yeah, so what, what the fuck are you gonna do about it??"

SFIND, 2muchcoffeeman and matt_garth like this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Trump's policy positions don't matter. They have been a jumbled, changing mess since 2015. He is more emblematic and as long as he hits a few notes, his core will follow him.

I was listening to someone on NPR and their point was Trump has little appeal to marginal voters and his only way to winning is getting out his base.

SFIND likes this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What’s the polling like in the MD Senate race? Unknown D running against popular R former governor seems like a recipe for D disaster.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Seems like it’s been lightly polled. Newest thing I’ve seen shows it’s tied at 46. No idea the quality of an AARP poll.

Definitely a dangerous one for Dems. Hogan is popular and well known.

Seems like it’ll come down to how Harris does. A Dem win if she brings huge turnout in a reliably blue state. If not, Hogan and loss of Senate control for sure.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/08/27/maryland-senate-polls-alsobrooks-hogan-00176423

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The senate is already lost.

There’s no realistic flip in play right now to make up for manchin

Tester needs a miracle based on polling and that one’s gone.

hogan winning wouldn’t be that terrible. He’s moderate enough that if you need a vote to get basic stuff done, he do it to force a tie vote from walz

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Shotgun (for security never planning to go hunting): Mossberg 590 is their top of the line, but there is a Mossberg Maverick that is reliable and inexpensive. For pure home defense, Mossberg Shockwave.
    Handgun: Glock. Pick you model. You don't need 15+ rounds. Get a used 19 at a pawn shop. It's a do everything gun. I also like a 48. It's full-frame single stack gun. I carry a 43.
    Assault rifle: Couldn't tell you. Never owned or had much use for one.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
    Slacker likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What says Master Chief Haskell?

Others Have Politicized Arlington, but Trump’s Approach Has No Precedent

The Army issued a rare public rebuke of Trump campaign officials for attacks they directed at a cemetery worker who had tried to stop the filming. (A campaign spokesman had accused the worker of experiencing a “mental health episode.”) The Trump campaign had been made aware that filming for campaign purposes was against Army regulations — and campaign officials had nonetheless plowed forward, even, according to the Army, physically pushing aside the cemetery worker.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't know if this belonged in the politics or college football thread, and finally decided this was the place. Ted Cruz was at the Notre Dame-aTm game, adding to his amazing losing streak at sports events, but so was Kari Lake, who's running for the Senate in Arizona. This despite both Arizona and ASU having home games yesterday. I assume she was trying to shake Cruz's money tree, but this was a strange way to campaign.

garrow and Hermes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted