1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The best part of this is after KJP blisters Doocy is the next question is about Ukraine. A perfect “these are not serious people” moment.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

She wore a beige pantsuit yesterday too. Dearie me.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not to knock Fridays or SNL, but Laugh-In did it before that and the Smothers Brothers did it before that and Steve Allen did it before that and Mort Sahl did it before that and Lenny Bruce did it before that - back into the darkness of antiquity when Will Rogers did it on Broadway for Flo Ziegfeld, 8 shows a week.

Smallpotatoes, garrow and maumann like this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I was driving on some godforsaken stretch of I-59 (I think) through Alabama and we had to stop in the middle of nowhere so the kids could use the head.

We stopped at a gas station that had “Fuck Joe Biden” shirts, stickers, mugs, anything you could imagine, and they were everywhere. My son, who was 8 at the time, was worried that other impressionable kids would see the curse words, so he asked if he could hide all of the shirts. I said “Go for it!” And he did.

Both of my kids have hated Alabama ever since.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mort Sahl is a very good comparison. Even allowing for differences in humor perceptions over the ages, I think Will Rogers was a little different. He was more like Garrison Keillor than a stand up as we understand the genre.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

In the year 9595,
    I'm kinda winderin if man is gonna be alive,
    He's taken everything this old world can give
    And he ain't put back nothinnn ...
    Whoa-woh

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think of Keillor primarily as a storyteller. Rogers - especially in the years on Broadway and in wide daily newspaper syndication - had a fairly modern knack for one-liners.

But as William Gaddis said, we all climbed out of Mark Twain's vest pocket.

Political humor is as old as politics.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Perhaps but it's still universes better than Alice's Restaurant which is the worst song ever made.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

But, but you can get anything you want there. Excepting Alice.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Trump +100. Harris +108. #BeCareful

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

His sister married the guy who founded or co-founded The Federalist and RedState. She's all in with the idiots.

Draft saved Draft deleted