1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

To be fair, I was around some SEALs back in the day when they were actually sort of still covert, and they all were wrapped a little too tight or not tight enough. I guess you sort of have to be for that sort of thing.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It’s been interesting to watch them become influencers and social media stars.

Right after 9/11, we had quite a few them training at a nearby base. I was bartending on the side and they’d roll in on Saturday nights. They were easy to pick out and I got to be acquainted with a couple of them - including their squad leader. To a man, if you asked what branch they were in they said Coast Guard. When somebody asked WTF they were doing in Arkansas, they said river training.

One night, a group of frat guys got into it. I come around the bar, grab a frat bro by the arm and he swings at me. He missed. But my acquaintances saw this as a green light. They cleared those college kids out in mere seconds and left a couple laying on the sidewalk. They didn’t pay for another beer when I was working.

A couple of weeks later, they were shipping out. I wished them luck and said “Be careful” to one of them. He said “That’s not possible with what we do.” But those dudes never admitted to being anything but Coasties.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    /approves

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

So if you remember the hullabaloo a while back when some frat boys at UNC became momentary darlings of the right for "saving" the American flag during a pro-Palestine protest, you may also remember that a right-wing grifter quickly started a GoFundMe to throw a party for these heroic frat boys and it raised $500,00+ before getting shut down.

Well, they finally held the party on Labor Day with Big & Rich, Aaron Lewis and Lee Greenwood performing - and foregoing their performance fees for the cause.

Only one problem: Students stayed away.

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2024/09/university-flagstock-2024

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What, exactly, makes Martyr Made a historian? As far as I know he doesn’t have any sort of history degree. He hasn’t taught history at any level, be it middle school, high school or college. He hasn’t published any history books. He’s no Kevin Kruse or Heather Cox Richardson.

If he’s a historian anyone can be a historian.

8. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Of course, they're the morons in the family who can't use apostrophes correctly.

[​IMG]

OscarMadison and matt_garth like this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Holding an event for students on a three-day weekend: Brilliant!

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just like Dr. Phil ...

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Port Security Unit?

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Security_Unit

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I guess they can kiss their tickets to the Inaugural goodbye.

Draft saved Draft deleted