1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I would like to know the precise definition of a Swiftie, since all of this is apparently bound for a peer-reviewed journal. Is it someone who goes to a show? Buys or downloads all the albums? Picked up a random shirt online? Binges her songs occasionally on Spotify? (Hey, c’est moi) Doesn’t do that but sings along when she comes on the radio? Where exactly is the line?

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I really don't know... the race tightened at the end, as a lot of them do. Maybe she helped keep it from tightening more? I have absolutely no idea.

I think what could be different this time is the end of Roe. That's an issue that affects her fans a great deal. I have no clue if it will matter. But Roe is certainly an X factor with young women (and the men who love the young women and are also fans) that we didn't have in 2020.

Neutral Corner and TowelWaver like this.
  3. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

I don't think changing minds is the point. Turnout is the point.

Dog8Cats, Kato, tea and ease and 4 others like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To be clear, abortion is absolutely a factor. The overturning of Roe is absolutely a factor.

8. Deskgrunt50

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

You could have said the same thing 32 years ago. Gen X was probably the demo leaning hardest to the left. Whose minds was Clinton changing when he blew (pause for comedic effect) a sax on Arsenio and did an MTV town hall? It's one thing to be the most popular candidate amongst first-time/younger voters. It's another to engage them enough to ensure they come out and vote. Swift didn't change anyone's mind Tuesday night. But if she got a shitton of people to actually go out and vote over the next eight weeks instead of raging at Trump from afar, then she made a big difference.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It really is something how Trump's plan all along has seemed to be the Biden plan he mocked incessantly in 2020: Just stay out of view and hope the other guy fucks up enough so that people begrudgingly vote for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted