1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

That press release is meaningless.

Actions matter. Sean O'Brien was happy to be on stage at the RNC. Controversy has followed him throughout his tenure in various leadership roles in the Teamsters.

The former union president, James P. Hoffa (Jimmy's son), criticized O'Brien for not guiding the Teamsters to an endorsement of Harris.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/09/20/teamsters-jim-hoffa-harris-endorse/

There are approximately 1.3 members in the Teamsters. Local chapters representing nearly 1 million have voted to endorse Harris.

Some local Teamsters groups announce Harris endorsements after national union declines to do so

So yeah, I don't believe O'Brien or that press release that the Teamsters just couldn't come to an agreement.

2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I bought this ticket. Jan. 29 at Cat's Cradle. Gonna need it.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I guarantee you the principal at A.L. Johnson is no Trump lover, nor does the local seg academy want their students moving in.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Reading the early stories on this, that's the impression I got. He didn't get to speak at the DNC so threw a hissy fit.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And it begs the question, how many Teamsters are even in Red States where most have "right to work" laws and union membership is lower than blue states.

Twirling Time likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Republicans coming out against routine maintenance in 5... 4 ... 3 ...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 11:45 PM
    Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

There are some, but there are significantly more in blue states or states where there is more of a balance. Not a ton in the sun belt, for example.

International Brotherhood of Teamsters

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Not only that, most of those states have "at-will" labor laws where they can cut you loose at the drop of a Stetson.

Draft saved Draft deleted